• Register Today It's free!

Help No Reverse 3rd Or 4th Gears

dwmills

Reaction score
City, State
JACKSONVILLE, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 EXPLORER
I Rebuilt The 1991 A4ld 6 Months Ago. It Ran Fine Except For A Little Hesitation Going Into 3rd. Now I Have No Reverse It Feels Like It Will Go And Sometimes Will Go Into If You Give It Alot Of Gas Once In Gear Itstays In And Is Normal. To Get Into 3 And 4 I Had To Floor It Using The Passing Gear And Would Go Into Them But Once You Slow Up You Have To Floor It Again To Use The Passing Gear To Get Into 3 And 4 . If You Keep The Speed Up They Are Normal..please Help? Any Ideas?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Have you checked the linkages, that is more likely the cause, they can stick if the cup of the joints are dirty or brittle?

JUst realized maybe this wont apply as you have column shift and not floor shift.

I assume your talking about a vehicle with manual transmission...so idk if this applies, but I know with my automatic. Every gear except park seems to be forward only, it turned out my truck was low on transmission fluid and the clutch plates fused together. Even neutral made the truck go forward

1991 ranger a4ld no upshift

I just rebuilt my a4ld trans and it runs great no if i can get it past that first gear :/ at first it was whinning while in reverse well the fluid was low that quit and no reverse goes great even drive but i need that little bit of advice folks i cant get it above 35 no gear changing going on this is my 5 trans i rebuilt and i seem to run into these little itty bitty probs like this so if anyone can help id appreciate it :)

1991 ranger no 3rd

new mod no fluid in vacume line bands adjusted to specs ??? im going to try and put a snapon tool on it maybe that might help iduno but I am open to ideas:) thx for the reply to :salute:

Back