Help on which to buy | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Help on which to buy

I have an 03 4x4 xlt with the 4.0 and it has 166.000+ miles and it runs like new so far, no codes, no engine noise for $4495. Oh and it doesnt have the limited slip rear-end. I'm happy.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That was an excellent deal. Even if you had to replace the engine, trans, and both differentials, you still wouldn't add up to the cost of one with low miles.

I would go for the newer one with lower miles. The price difference is not enough to offset the fact that it is a year newer and has a lot fewer miles. You will make the money back up because it will be worth more when you decide to sell or trade it one day.

Those prices look darn good to me, I paid $28k for my 04 EB 3 rows, but that was back in nov 2004 - looks like i'm depreciating by about $4k per year since then.
But you know, on those days when you really need a 4x4 (like in winter storms), the explorer is king of the road an worth every penny.

I would go for the newer one with lower miles. The price difference is not enough to offset the fact that it is a year newer and has a lot fewer miles. You will make the money back up because it will be worth more when you decide to sell or trade it one day.
Depends on how many miles get put on it while he owns it. If he drives the wheels off it, the miles it was bought with becomes all but irrelevant.
If a person such as myself drives about 30,000 miles a year (which is double the national average), both the vehicles he mentioned will be considered "excess" miles in a short period of time anyways, so save the money up front is my recommendation. Besides that, he mentioned he's planning on selling it to a family member so they'll know how it was maintained more than a guy off the street would.

price does seem high..i got my 04 eddie 3rd row seat, v6, 4wd, w/ 23,000 miles for $16,000
when it was still at the dealer
takeapart038-1.jpg

Back