Help please! I just lost reverse gear. | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Help please! I just lost reverse gear.

drdoom & BrooklynBay,
No not yet on the wiring.. It's so darn cold here with the wind and all.. I'm going to pull that wire and clean the conection as soon as I can.. For the life of me going over the Workshop manual I can't see how I could have no output in one direction.. If I have input to the TCase at the input shaft. it's going to have out put or no out put or messed up 4 wheel drive.. I must be missing something.. I'm going through the manual and T Case diagnosis and tranny diagnosis with just a no "r" condition and and there is nothing in TCase.. Plenty in tranny diagnosis.. But t Case I mean there is sun gears and a chain for output then you have your gearing.. Sun gear brakes ,no "D" or "R".. if a fork messes up I can see it causing a condition.. I'm I just not rapping my brain around this? George

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What transfer case does that model use?

It uses the Borg Wearner 13-54 Electric shift transfer case with Low range.

New info!

I have some new info I just learned today from my wife.. OK, On her way home after the tranny issues started about 30 miles from the garage we use for state inspection she had asked the owner if he would check it out for her. he did by scanning the computer.. he told my wife the news was not good but that's all.. The new news I had learned is that he had cleared the codes in the computer to see if it would help.This is less then 1 mile from our house.. I didn't hook up my scanner till I had played with it and lost reverse completely.. I'm guessing with the truck in "R" and it not moving the code I got " output Shaft sensor circuit" was seeing no movement of the output shaft while in reverse.. Looks like I;m going to have to go fore a drive to see if I can get it to set some codes.. Going to have to wait till the wife is around to tow me back home if the tranny lets out completely.. Does this make sense? Am I thinking this out right with what I have learned? Then I can see it it throwes any new codes I never seen. I did ask if there was anything else she can think of that she forgot to tell me:eek:.. She thinks that it! George

Take a look at this post: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2248173&postcount=18
I have a theory which is only a speculation. The sensor isn't sending the correct reading back to the PCM to adjust the EPC to regulate the correct pressure in reverse. Place the vehicle in park, connect the pressure gauge onto the main pressure port, take a reading in reverse, then connect it to the EPC port, and take another reading in reverse. See if the pressure is within specification. Low pressure won't allow it to engage the reverse gear. Reverse gear uses a high pressure setting.

BrooklynBay,
Thank you!!! Sound good to me. I had a quick look at the url you sent.. going to have to read it over when my head is a little clearer. This thing has me going nuts! I'll try disconnecting the sensor cleaning it and then give it a try or if I get nothing from the little I did read maybe I'll disconnect it and give it a try.. In any case I'll go under there with a pressure gage and see what I get on both sides .. I can't do a stall test to build pressure in reverse I don't think.. but will try.. in any case I'll see what I have and report back to you..It will be a while do to the bad weather tomorrow and a few other things going on now.. I'll get that gage made up! So low pressure would mean I need a OSS sensor? or I should check the wiring? thanks so much for your help! George

BrooklynBay,
Thanks! I'll do that first day I can. Cold here with snow all day and I have to work on it outside.. Thanks for the rebuild thread also. it may be a lot more informative then my workshop manual and will help a lot! George

Back