Help please! I just lost reverse gear. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Help please! I just lost reverse gear.

George W

Reaction score
City, State
NH
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Ford Ranger Edge 4X4
I have the 2002 ranger with the 5 speed auto and it has a flashing OD light. started slipping and slow engagement in R and now I have no Reverse. the tranny lines went back in July and I lost fluid I replaced the bad cooler line and refilled the tranny with Napa brand Mercon V a little over fill in fact. It was in the crosses pattern on the dip stick.. I took out about 1 1/2 qts to get it right on the fill mark when at full temp after going through all the gears then checking.. I read over most of the posts here and didn't see any with all the issues and a no reverse issue.. Can Anyone hep me with this one? I just can't spend much money. I can't take it to a tranny shop.. George

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thank you for doing that. I was not sure where to post so I posted in a few places. but there is a little different info in each post.. Sorry about doing that..

I have 125000 on it now and I do have a code reader but I never used one and its still in it's packing.. it's a Actron auto scanner plus and said it will pull ABS codes too.. I have to figure how to use it and then I will post the codes.. any chance of Napa Brand Mercon V being the cause? I also had it over filled by about 1 to 1 1/2 qts.. I corrected this today and lost reverse completely..Thank you for helping me with my issue! My other post is in the ford Ranger posts it's a 2002 Edge 4X4. We just sunk $500 in ABS and other brake parts too I did the work so I know what it would have cost.I just can't afford labor.. George

Again I'm sorry. I will try to do that.. I'll get you the codes as soon as I figure out how to use the scanner.. Any thought On the over fill or Napa brand fluid I used? My Actron scanner plus is the CP9580 model if you have any pointers on the use of it.. George

Thank you! I will do that and get the info to you here hopefully tomorrow if we don't get nailed with a big snowstorm. Your input on the fluid makes me feel better about that.I was rethinking the fluid kicking myself.. George

I scanned the truck using the above scanner.. It gave me only #1 code with a little more info.. Code P0720 it also said MOD $10 don;t know what or where this is on the tranny.
then said Sensor Shaft Circuit.
then it ending with the words Pending Global #1 code.

again what scares me the most is I have no "R" at all now.. I wonder if I blew or burnt a band when adjusting the fluid lever and trying to move the truck back and forth.. I had some "R" before that.. Please give me your best thoughts. My wife already put down a deposit $500 bucks on Toyota Tacoma 2007 reg can 4X4 with 50,000 miles on it it's 16,0000 and we are arguing over it already, D day is tomorrow.. with out a warranty this will put us under if it fails.. I don;t think its a smart move for us right now. I would rather lose the $500 down payment then shell out 16,000 because we will be grinding ourselves in a hole a high priced used one financially ,Toyota same as this used one is only about 3000 more nor a brand new one with 0 miles with full warranty... I myself would be looking for something new with the best bumper to bumper warranty and a long powertrain warranty that comes from the factory at no charge.. Or get a good used 4x4 for around 6 grand or so.. I would be looking for another Ranger only with a manual tranny this time.. Please I'm at my wits end between my wife the Ranger with out "R" and the used Toyota for 16,000 grand.. Sorry for the rant.. I hope you understand.. your opinion would be very welcome to me.. George

P0720 output shaft speed sensor circuit. The computer needs input from various sensors on the transmission to let it know its speed to change gear ratios, and vary hydraulic pressure. Each sensor provides a feedback signal to the computer.

Will this sensor cause a No "R" issue? The thing won't move now.. Or did I do that by braking or burnning up a band? would that shoulw as another code? or is it safe to say replacing or reparing the conition to the output shaft sensor will give me "R" back? I been reading were to locate the sensor.. drivers side rear uper part of tranny case.. We have a heck of a snow ice storm going on right now so I can;t do a thing with it today.. Have to try and deal with the angry wife.

I just checked.. I do have my backup lights when I shift into reverse! Selector seems to be right on in "N" "D" and "R" I also have good pull in manual 1 also,2,3 and drive..But no reverse My issue started with a flashing OD light. Tried to baby it home and there would be a slipping causing it to rev up then it would catch again.. tried to keep it below 30mph but had a good 30 miles away from home.. Lots of slipping abbout 30 miles or more.. hard to stay below 30.. after getting home I worked on it the next day and i lost reverse because I was trying it out with my foot on the brake while giving it a little gas in reverse.. Hop this info help! Thank you for your help! George

Also when cold when I shift to reverse I can rear the engagement sound but have no movement even if I give it some gas..

Sorry for some reason I couldn't get to this site till today.. T case? Not sure why you ask. I have driver and I know the T case works in 2-H and 4-H and did in 'R' just before I Lost reverse completely.. I don't have a pressure gage that go up to 300PSI.. I'm sure I can borrow one or rig something up if need be.. Please tell my about the T Case.. I thought being I had drive the T case would not have a bearing on having "R" or not? I'm all ears! To give you a idea of where I stand from a mechanical standpoint I have done everything except automatic transmission and rear axle differentials.. I have been working on cars from the age of 9 and I'm 54 now.. I have a good understanding of how most things work but not auto tyranny's..Hop this helps.. Again that you for helping me out! George

The transfer case has a shift fork, and a shift rail which engage/disengage. The metal isn't that strong. The fork eventually develps a hair line crack. These parts could cause a no reverse condition if they fail. You could test the transfer case manually to see if both sides (input & output) turn in the same direction.

Getting back to the transmission. A pressure gauge is used to test the pressure in each gear range as well as the EPC pressure. There are two pressure ports. The one on the driver's side is the main pressure port, and the one on the passenger's side is for the EPC pressure.

Ok thanks! Now I have something to do.. My own thought on the T case was that if I had drive or even if it held in park that the T case would be working at least enough .. I must be missing something with my thinking.. The tranny tail shaft turns in forward and reverse and that's the motion that feeds the t case, if it works one way it should work the other. No? I'm just trying to understand how it works in my head.. Guess I have to look at the workshop manual and see what your talking about on the T Case.. Ok let me ask this.. If I disconnect my rear drive shaft and have the truck in park with the t case in 2-H it should be fine if I can't turn it one way or the other, right? Let me elaborate just a bit.. If park holds the truck in both directions I must have a constant link in the t case? If I'm missing something please tell me.. My trucks rpm's go up in "R" it feels just liks Neutral..George

Is there a way to test the T Case While still in the truck that you can think of? My issue right now is 3" of ice that I would need to work on with cold temps out. So any way to make this easier even if it's unconventional that would be best at this point..

I take it the starting point is the T Case. Then the code P0720 flashing OD indicator and forward slipping buy way of the circuit with the OSS. I can work under the truck some but if anything big has to come out I'll have to wait about two months or till spring. I'm in the cold Northern New Hampshire! O it did find a pressure gage that goes to 300psi that I could adapt to work.. It a compression gage I have.I can remove it from the check valve.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

George, have you checked the sensor/wiring that is causing the P0720 code?

Back