• Register Today It's free!

help..rear main seal Leakin bad

joeglock40

Reaction score
City, State
SW AZ
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 Ford X, 2012chevyZ71
i searched n didnt find much help so here it goes. i have a bad leak under my 1992 exploder, prety sure its the rear main cuz i dont see it on the top or sides of block anywhere. but its leaking bout a quart every 100-200 miles, and im tired of it. SOOO how hard is it to change the rear main seal on a 4x4 autotranny exploder? any special tools i need and is a teflon seal the best for it? i got all this week off so its perfect time to do it. any tips and tricks would be VERY appreciated. im bout to shoot some buckshot thru this thing if i dont get it fixed soon. thanks guys
:usa:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It's a big job. And while your at it there are parts that should be replaced while the trans & everything else is out. All that add's up $. Mines leaking as well as the oil pan gasket & It would cost more to fix then the X is worth. So I have a oil stained driveway & put in a quart/month.

Ya that's what im thinking to since it's only a beater n payed only 1100 for it. Think I'll just try stop leak again n keep topping it off til I can afford either a extra first gen x or a enduro motorcycle

Hasn't made any difference to mine. Something you can try.... Get under there & see if you can tighten the oil pan bolts any. Some have reported that helping slow it down.
BTW nice name...Carry a G22 everyday.

Thanks ya its worth a try, and as do I

Back