Help removing wax buildup | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Help removing wax buildup

I'm trying to remove 10 years of wax buildup from a 93 Explorer. It's all in the areas next to black window mouldings, trim pieces, etc. I washed with Dawn and it didn't do anything. So I'm currently using Isopropyl alcohol and cotton pads I got from the women's cosmetic section in Wal-Mart. But this is taking forever. I've spent the last three weekends on it and I still have a lot to do. Anybody know of something better I could use that won't stain the trim?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I am wondering this also.

I've heard peanut butter works. I've had good luck with prep-sol. Can be found in paint stores.

Peanut butter?!?! :eek:

That's so crazy... it just might work. How do I apply it? Spread it on and leave it for a bit before wiping it off? Also, is some random cheap kids' brand okay or do I need something "all natural"?

I don't know if it'll cut it or not but you could also try WD-40. It's does a pretty good job of getting road tar off also.

I would sooner think its dirt buid up as opposed to wax build up. Probably need to scrub with a tooth brush (soft bristle so as not to scratch). WD 40 , followed by Dawn sure should do it. Never tried peanut butter but why not?

I would sooner think its dirt buid up as opposed to wax build up. Probably need to scrub with a tooth brush (soft bristle so as not to scratch). WD 40 , followed by Dawn sure should do it. Never tried peanut butter but why not?

It's a combination. For the last ten years the truck was cleaned once a year using Ford wash and wax combo packets. So all the dirt got pushed to the edges and sealed in at the same time. First thing I did was wash with Dawn. Then I used Mequiars Gold Class Wash, then went to Isopropyl alcohol on cotton pads, then Clay Magic, then alcohol on a kids 2-4 yr. toothbrush. But I did put scratches in a couple of places with the toothbrush. So I stopped using it. I'd like to use something stronger like my can of Stoner Tarminator but I've heard it stains plastic/vinyl trim. I also don't know what citrus cleaners would do. Never fiqured I spend three full weekends washing and waxing a vehicle and still not be finished. :(

So I'm open to anything - even peanut butter, which I'll try next. I'll switch to WD40 if I don't get results.

Back