• Register Today It's free!

HELP! Trouble Starting!!!

r4ng3r95

Reaction score
City, State
Falls Church, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 5Spd XLT
Within the last few weeks ive noticed my explorer, 92 XLT, has been harder and harder to start. I figured it just needed a tune up because it has had about 20-25k since the last one. Well yesterday i changed all the sparkplugs and sparkwires, and the pcv valve. Afterwards, when i would try to start it it would stumble, i guess thats the best word (sounds like putt putt puttt with a hell of alot of shaking), and would die. So i double checked the way i had the wires on the ignition coil. Yup had 5 and 6 backwards. So i changed it and it started like a pro. Well this morning i went to drive my dad into work and turned the key and let the pump do its thing. turned it all the way and it stumbled, surged, and dies. It seemed like it wasnt gettin fuel or air. it was really wierd cuz it started up fine after i changed the plugs and wires but then i left it overnight. then i turned the key again and it started right up. While i was driving i noticed low idle rpms, somewhere around 600-700. It was alittle slow in climbing to 3K in rpms but it didnt seem to be misfiring. Please help with any and all of your knowledge

Thanks Tad

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I had a similar problem on mine. I would have to turn the key for 10 or so seconds and then let off and do it again. I replaced everything! BAP, Coil Pack, Crank sensor, plugs, and wires, and still no joy. I bought a Chiltons CD for my truck and was looking at the ignition system and found this little unit located on the front end infron of the battery behind the headlight. Its called the ICM(Ignitian Control Module). I replace it and now my truck fires with about 2 to 3 revs of the starter. It has a perpendicular connector and is flat. Its spendy to buy new so go to the junkyard and get one. I got my from U Wrench it for 15 bucks I think. Hope this helps. :)

well now while driving home i pull to a stop like and was sitting there and it sputtered and died. started right up then when slowing down to turn in somewhere to look, i was practically stopped it sputtered again but didnt die. wtf? anyone know anything as to the cause of the sputtering?

fuel preasure regulator !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

what does the fuel pressure regulator do and what does the icm do exactly? i have to explain it to my parents so they can get the parts to fix it

the fuel preasure regulator does exactly what the name says it regulates the fuel preasure if the regulater goes bad you get one of 2 conditions a very rich running condition ie black smoke or a very lean running condition ie sputtering lack of power and stalling the easyest way to tell is to look at your spark plugs for signs of fouling or burning hot due to lack of fuel the icm is the module that controls ignition spark timing hope this helps a little bit

Well while driving on 66<big highway>i wal flooring it to pass someone. i hit about 3k, get little hesitation and then the rpms started to drop quickly to 2k. i let off on the gas and put it back to close to where it was and it went up but then at 3k, did the same thing. got off the highway. tried to recreate the same conditions, got it to 3k and it stayed there like it was susposed to. i was like wtf. anyone shed some light on the issue???

I had that problem with my 92. I found out that the battery post had some sort of film on it preventing 'good' contact between the post & the terminal. A good cleaning later, I had power. But i'd definately check out the FPR.

Back