Help w/ electrical problem

96ExplorerSport

Reaction score
City, State
Pittsburgh PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 X Sport 4.0L OHV, 4WD
Hi,

This morning I got in my 96 Explorer only to discover that my power windows are no longer working on both sides. In addition, the the following accessories are no longer working with engine running: door lights, map lights, dome light, under the hood light. First I assumed this was fuse related. My manual list fuse #28 for all these accessories. I checked it and it was fine, I even replaced it just to be sure, did not help. I've checked other fuses (under the hood as well) and everything appears to be in order.

Here is my question. If I let the engine run, pull the fuse, and measure the voltage across, it has to be the battery voltage, right? I plan on doing that when I get home. I think it's a fuse or relay somewhere, but I am not sure where :)

Thanks,
Sergey

my "non -ford" drawings show it as #27. Anyways, its probably your battery saver relay since your windows are affected.

Sorry, I meant #27. What is the battery saver relay? How does it work and is there a way to check it? I'll check with a voltmeter first to make sure I get 12v w/o the fuse. This will be a starting point for diagnostic.

Thanks guys,

PS. Forgot to mention, the car runs fine otherwise with everything else operational (headlights, panel lights, etc).

Back