Help!!! What do you think? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Help!!! What do you think?

fin1

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
Our 2003 xlt with the V8 Started ticking real bad while wife was driving. Then when comng back home it was getting worse and worse. She got it home she phoned the garage they told her to bring it in. She drove it there and left it. Three days later they told her it was her timing chain and some kind of oil issue. Week later they phone and say they have the parts and it should be fixed the next day. The next day they phone and say it was all put together and they took it for a test drive to heat up oil for oil change and then it totally died on them, had to get tow truck? So they tore it all down again and then told the wife she needed a new engine??? Week later they put in used engine and she finally got truck back. Now my question to you guys out there is was it my fault that they had to replace engine or theirs??? Now its a big bill for engine not just the timing chain. Any info would be great.

Thank You

fin1

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Wow, I've never heard of a shop jumping to conclusions and replacing the engine right off the bat. Did they run other diagnostics? Did they tell you specifically what was wrong with the engine?

It seems like the car would've "died" eventually while your wife was driving it. Just might be coincidence that it happened when the shop took it for a drive. Then again, im just assuming.

I died on them after they fixed the timing chain and adjusters or tensioner. After they fixed those they took it for a ride and then it died on them? They then said it was a oil issue and now need new motor? Did they screw something up? A new motor because of a timing chain?

Fin1

They could have dropped something into the oil galley or something, and oil starved the engine when they drove it after replacing the cam chains, etc...

I wouldn't be paying for that one before you get the whole story and have someone look at the other engine too. My gut says that they're trying to get you to pay for their f-up...

Especially if the tensioners cracked up and maybe made it to the pan. They (and other stuff) could have clogged the oil pickup screen. Either way, stuff they should know to check if they're a reputable shop...

I'm no mechanic but where do I find the oil pick up screen?

It's internal, you'd have to drop the oil pan to get to it. Not something you can check usually without pulling the engine unless the pan can be dropped in the car. On the engine they replaced, you can pull the oil pan off and see it. It could be there, heck- they could have forgotten a rag in there that plugged the oil drain holes leading to the oil pan eventually starving the engine. I've seen that a few times too...

I would say if you ask to see the old engine, (and it hasn't been a long time since completion) and they say it's gone, that would make me think...

Check this thread out, it involves what the shop did on your first engine...

CLICK ME

Back