Help with 5R55E transmission issues | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Salty Dalt

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Explorer Sport Trac
I have an Explorer Sport Trac with the 5R55E automatic transmission. It has been having some issues for a while which I am trying to repair completely. The issues I have are below.

1.) After transmission is warm and if I make a stop at the store and shut the truck off for maybe 15-45 minutes, then leave the store, for the first shift getting into 2nd gear after leaving, it slips out of gear, revs up to 3,000 RPM. I release the gas pedal, feel it clunk back into gear, and then it drives fine. One time it also shuttered for about 2 seconds during that. Has not shuttered again. It makes me think that when it sits with hot transmission fluid, that may be causing an issue.

2.) Shift flare and slight delay (about 250 RPM rise, half a second delay) when shifting into its final gear.

3.) Possibly a slight reverse delay, if any. About half a second delay, not sure if that is normal.

4.) Slight clunk into 3rd gear.

These are the repairs that have been done to the transmission.

1.) Replaced valve body gaskets with bonded separator plate (Old gaskets were ripped in 2 locations).
2.) Replaced reverse servo O-rings with D-rings.
3.) Replaced reverse servo cover gasket (old one was ripped)
4.) Tried to adjust the transmission bands, but the adjustment screws are rusty, making the torque specs inaccurate. :mad:
5.) Replaced extension housing gasket while working on transfer case outside of vehicle.
6.) Replaced transmission fluid and filter 3 times over 25,000 miles. During diagnostics at dealership, they verified correct fluid level and good condition, I asked about the shutter and if it might be the torque converter, they said if the torque converter was going bad, the fluid would be much more contaminated. They could not make the transmission slip when test driving it.
7.) Used compressed air and Mercon V to flush out the transmission cooler and lines unattached from the transmission in front of the A/C condenser, to ensure no blockages causing overheating condition which I thought might be causing issue 1. Installed an external magnetic transmission filter on cooler line, changed within last 10,000 miles.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, not sure what the next step should be, replace solenoids or upgrade to the aftermarket servos with O-rings. A friend told me that the solenoids might be sticking when the fluid is hot.

Also, I had replaced the radiator some time ago and the aftermarket radiator is only about half the width of the original, possibly contributing to increased transmission fluid temperature, and causing some issues. I will take a temperature reading of the pan next time I drive it for a while.

Anybody have an idea of what could be part of the issue?

Back