• Register Today It's free!

help with filter and oil

rob54b

Reaction score
City, State
el paso texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 Explorer XLT
i was wondering what type of oil filter and oil is the best for my explorer. i have 92 XLT with 122 thou miles i currently use maxlife with any filter.....is there a diff, with filters? what interval should i change my oil too, i currently change every 3000. and how often should i service the tranny?.....................rob

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm not sure about the filters. I just bought standard napa filters and they worked fine. As for oil, i'd stick with the max life changing it every 3k miles. For your tranny.. i'd service that around every 6-7k miles? Not so sure about that since my last truck was a manual. With max life oil changing it every 3k miles me and my dad have gotten well over 200k miles on my old bronco and his f250.

We also have a 1992 XLT (abeit double the miles - 246k miles) and run Mobile 1 synthetic and have done so since about 140k miles. We change the oil every 8k miles and the filter at the same time.. We usually use Mobile 1 filters..

There is also a thread on the polls forum about what oil people run..

~Mark

Filters are very important. There was a link somewhere on this board about a man that did tests on filters. His results were very informative. But basically the only way you are going to screw yourself is with a FRAM filter (although i have heard that their top end ones are alright) Personally I use the motorcraft filter. It is just a relabeled Puralator Filter and from what I have heard Puralator is good. However I dont run synthetic oil. If you run synthetics go with Mobil 1 or Amsoil or Royal Purple or Red Line.

EDIT: The link to the motor oil filter testing is Dead Link Removed

hey everyone thanks for the info, good stuff...rob

motorcraft filter and any old oil... usually Trak Auto... it's made by Mobil... we run all our fords like that... and have had good success... cept Trak is goin outta business here, and being bought out by Murrays so i hear...
Pete

I use Pennzoil PureBase and Fram oil filters, the grippy stuff on the Frams REALLY helps out when you change the filters. I change every 3000 miles. Once my box of Penn. runs out I'm switching over to Maxlife.

the maxlife seems to be the overall good choice, i have no regrets......

Back