help with k&n cold air kit | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

help with k&n cold air kit

rama1200 said:
great to hear that the product actually does something... I'm waiting for mine... is supposed to get here today... I also was looking at some heatshield from autozone... don't know how good it might be... just $12 and looks nice... it is thin plastic though...

could any one of you guys that have received/installed the intake, tell me if you see a way in which a pipe can be added to it to replace the whose?

are supposed to uunplug the battery when installing... as to reset the computer???

on my 03 i bought a heatsheild off of ebay. partially for looks, but more so to keep the hot air away from my intake. im looking into getting a similar one for my 05's intake.

if youre talking about replacing the plastic tube with a metal one, there might be a way. i was looking at mine when i first got it and thought that there might be a possibility to adapt an 02-03 intake tube to take its place. im not sure if the hoses would line up though. you can always lengthen them i guess. ebay has intakes for very cheap and they can be tested to fit on there. the only thing that i think might be difficult is attaching the intake tube to the manifold itself (not sure if im using the correct terminology).

you dont have to unplug the battery if you dont want to. i just unplugged the MAF sensor and then re-attached it once it was put back in. btw, you have to remove the sensor from the stock MAF and install it in the intakes MAF.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

KKM said:
True-Rev Sport Indcution Kit, TR-054004, $134.95, a complete bolt-on kit as shown.

newexplorer.jpg

no offence but that seems way overpriced for a non-genuine k&N filter and no heatshield.. kinda looks home made

they can charge whatever they want because no other company has stepped up to produce for the 04-05 4.0L V6 engine. until then, they have a monopoly. so more power to them. plus, theres no difference between that filter and a K&N except the label on it. if you want a heatshield so badly go on ebay and buy one for 15 bucks. either way youll be spending less than on an overpriced K&N system (200+ dollars).

btw, i own one and its definitely NOT homemade at all. equal in quality to the K&N i had on my 03 explorer.

intake

hey pimp do you get a little whistle as you are driving? other than that I like it and with the flowmaster it sounds pretty good.

04 xlt 4x4 said:
hey pimp do you get a little whistle as you are driving? other than that I like it and with the flowmaster it sounds pretty good.

not really a whistling sound, more of a 'humm' i guess. i just ordered up a JBA exhaust system today, should be here soon. it uses a magnaflow muffler, so itll be nice and deep :D

Im chiming in here just in case other people read this post. I just installed my KKM filter yesterday and I already love it. Sounds great. As for the S&B Filter that comes with the kit, it has more flow than a K&N in tests. Search the internet and you'll find at least a few websites that taut S&B over K&N. K&N aren't any better, they are only perceived as such because of their history/marketing, at best they simply match S&B in performance. Like I have said many time, if people want to spend the 200.00+ dollars to have a shiny pipe with 'K&N' on it, that is their business. Personally I say spend that cash on something else.

i never researched that before. most filters are about the same, given that they are made of the same materials and what not. the only major difference will be how many foreign particles will be alowed to enter the engine. that is about the only thing that K&N might have the edge on. i highly doubt it, but its a possibility. glad to hear that you like it btw. its a great intake, given its the only one out for 04-05 V6's at the moment. also, i got my exhaust a while back and there is a VERY noticeable difference in performance when the two are combined. i love the sound of the JBA coupled with the intake. i suggest everyone do both of those mods, even if you have a V6.

the kkn is not 50 state legal :(

neither are clear corners... :D

the '06 mountaineer's have em! stock! like whoa!

but they have those amber lights on the side, therefore theyre 100% legal.

Back