• Register Today It's free!

help with k&n cold air kit

04 xlt 4x4

Reaction score
City, State
thomasville, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 xlt 4x4

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The '04-Up Explorer has the MAF integrated into the airbox, thus older model kit will not work. See www.kustomz.com for an '04-Up kit that offers a new MAF housing to place your electronics into.

True-Rev Sport Indcution Kit, TR-054004, $134.95, a complete bolt-on kit as shown.

newexplorer.jpg

intake

Thanks for the reply. What kind of h.p. should I expect from this kit?

04 xlt 4x4 said:
Thanks for the reply. What kind of h.p. should I expect from this kit?

We have been seeing an average of 9hp and 14ft/lbs torque on the newer integrated MAF type installations.

i have that intake and i can definitely tell a difference. its better than waiting a eyar for another company to come out with one.

help

thanks for the input. I will have to get one ordered. and thanks again

KKM said:
We have been seeing an average of 9hp and 14ft/lbs torque on the newer integrated MAF type installations.

what vehicle(s) was the item tested on... ok, let me refrase that... have you had a chance to test directly on an '04+ x with 4.0L? what about the 4.6L?

so it performs better than, for example, the k&n?
http://www.knfilters.com/search/product.aspx?Prod=77-2529KP

(sorry for all the comments and questions... I just want to shop/compare before I buy)...

if the product is this good, we might need to get a group buy... (i don't know who to propose that to... may be you as a vendor need to talk to the forum admins to see what needs to be done???)

may be, you as a vendor/maker can propose an "special edition" intake that wll have, the pipes, shield, etc....

from what I've read on various forums, I know that what prevent a lot of people from buying kkm is that fact that it has no pipes nor heat shield... regardsless of what your website says/explains about why not pipes and shields.

... as to lure more buyers for the possible group buy may be post some dyno charts???...

like i said before, i had a kkm on my '01 and i was pleased with it.

thanks for info...

you can buy a heatsheild on ebay for 10-15 bucks.

rama1200 said:
what vehicle(s) was the item tested on... ok, let me refrase that... have you had a chance to test directly on an '04+ x with 4.0L? what about the 4.6L?

so it performs better than, for example, the k&n?
http://www.knfilters.com/search/product.aspx?Prod=77-2529KP

The K&N kit you list is not for an integrated MAF type system, so there is not much to compare. Our pre-04 systems were dyno'ed at one time to 4.3hp and 5.9ft/lbs torque. We do not put this info on our website since it was tested by the end user and we cannot provide a chart for every vehicle we make a kit for. The same stands true for the 04-Up model, in that the test was by an end user with a result of 9hp and 14ft/lbs.

rama1200 said:
kkm, I'm looking at this item TR-054004... any discounts for board/forum members and return buyers?

How about 10% off on TR-054004 until 1/20/06, phone orders only. Discount applies to this part# only.

for 10% off and free s&h i might have to grab one for myself!!!!

rama1200 said:
sounds good... but just to make sure, did you say 10% off and free s&h???

if so, who should i ask for when i call?

No, I have offered 10% off on the part and you will need to pay for shipping.

Just ask for me, it's a one man band.......

intake

received the air intake tuesday and very happy with it so far. very easy to install and looks good.. I guess I should have asked for a discount to. ha ha

good to hear. it adds a nice little kick to it. when i first put it on it was a little hesitant to open up. after a week or so my explorer was faster off the line and on the move. it must be because the computer had to reset or something.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

pimp03explorer said:
good to hear. it adds a nice little kick to it. when i first put it on it was a little hesitant to open up. after a week or so my explorer was faster off the line and on the move. it must be because the computer had to reset or something.

great to hear that the product actually does something... I'm waiting for mine... is supposed to get here today... I also was looking at some heatshield from autozone... don't know how good it might be... just $12 and looks nice... it is thin plastic though...

could any one of you guys that have received/installed the intake, tell me if you see a way in which a pipe can be added to it to replace the whose?

are supposed to uunplug the battery when installing... as to reset the computer???

Back