• Register Today It's free!

Help with MTX Thunderform (long)

99Ltd

Reaction score
City, State
Dallas, Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 Limited
I recently purchased an amplified MTX Thunderform for a 1999 Ford Explorer Limited, and had it installed by Earmark Car Audio in Plano, TX. I noticed that it didn't sound much better than the factory sub that it had replaced, but since it was a special order, there was no chance of a refund. The Explorer Limited has rear seat controls for the radio that allow the person in the back to plug in headphones and push a button that turns off the rear speakers so they can listen to either the radio, cd or tape regardless of what the person in the front seat is listening to. I've never had any reason to use this feature before, however, someone riding in the rear seat was pushing the buttons on the controls, found the one that turns off the rear speakers and pushed it. The Thunderform came to life, pumping out low-end bass that I didn't think it was capable of producing. The only problem was that the volume control only affected the front speakers, not the Thunderform, it remained at a constant volume. Also, it would only play the music from the radio, even if there was a CD or tape playing. I returned to Earmark Car Audio to have them look at it, and they did rewire it so that it was now using the front speakers as a source instead of the rear speakers. Unfortunately, the deep bass that I had become accustomed to the day before was gone again, the Thunderform only produces what I would consider to be mid-bass. Obviously, the Thunderform is capable of producing low-end bass, but they seemed to dismiss it as the speaker being overdriven. I know the difference of an overdriven speaker and low bass, as I'm sure most of you do also. Anyway, I was wondering if any of you might be able to offer some insight into this delima, or if you might know of issues with the Explorer and the MTX Thunderform, or if you have any suggestions that I can try that might get my Thunderform to perform the way I heard it that one day. Thanks for taking the time to read this and all responses are appreciated.

Larry
99 Ford Explorer Ltd.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

They probably still have it wired wrong. I did one yesterday in a 95 Explorer in place of the blown factory sub and it sounded great. When I did it I used the wires that were going into the factory sub amp for signal. With out being able to look at the install it hard to say what they did wrong.

I'm inclined to agree with you... I am not sure, but I think they had to bypass the factory connections (for some reason) when they put it in. Do you happen to know where the wires going to the sub originate? Do they come from the back of the HU or somewhere else? I'm thinking about just trying to track this problem down myself as the installers aren't being very helpful.

I know this is off topic and won't help you, so excuse me, but...when the Thunderform WAS working, how did you like it? Did it produce nice bass? In other words, did you know it was back there? :)

When it was working correctly, it sounded better than my other car which currently has 2 MTX Blue Thunder 10's powered by a Coustic 250w amp (monobridged). The bass was lower and tighter, but not louder. I think some of that can be attributed to the fact that the Thunderform is enclosed, and my other enclosure is ported. I'm thinking about taking it to another Earmark store and explaining to them what happened and see what they can do to fix this.

Glad it sounds good. I want more bass but not necessarily louder, so I'm planning on getting the amplified Thunderform.

As far as your dilemma...the best thing would be to take it back to who installed it, as you've said. You may not be able to fix it if you can't understand what they did (whether it was wrong or right!), plus they have an obligation to fix it. Also ask if it was tested, and if so, who tested it? It shouldn't have gone out the door like that.

Good luck!

Thanks. Actually, I took it back to them and they told me that the way it sounds now, is the way that it is supposed to sound. I can't accept that now that I know what that thing is capable of producing. I've already called another location of Earmark and the person I spoke to is researching it with MTX to see if there are any issues with their product and the Explorer. We'll see if they can restore my faith in retail.

Larry

This won't solve your problem but it will explain why the speaker could not play the same thing as the fronts. When the button was pressed in the back it switched the stereo to dual mode. When in this mode the rear speakers can play any source of the stereo except what the front is playing. This is so that the people sitting in the back can listen to a cd or something while the people in the front listen to another source of music.

Thats the main reason I think they jacked up the wiring. When you hit the dual mode button, the sub continued to play the radio, regardless of what you did. I didn't fool around with the rear controlls to see if you could switch radio/tape/cd. I guess I should have tried that out... Unfortunately, now that they have "fixed" it, that dual mode thing doesn't do anything, and the sub sounds like the factory one. I'm hoping going to a different location might get this working properly. I'm definitely going to let you guys know what happens with this, just in case someone ever runs into the same problem. I definitely appreciate the feedback from you all.

Larry

They should have just taken the signal from the plug from the factory sub amp. I dont remember the colors on that because I always test the wires.

if you paid them to install it, then they should fix it. if they hooked it up wrong, that's their fault. if they cant figure out a simple install, they shouldn't be in business. ask the to run wires directly from the headunit if they have to.

I completely agree. Unfortunately, they want to stick with "that is the way it is supposed to sound", and have resigned themselves to believe it was a job well done. If I thought they could fix it I would pursue it with them, but they either can't or are lying. Either way, I don't think I'm comfortable with them messing with my truck again.

I have about five years experience installing systems in cars and trucks. I installed my Fosgate amp to my factory head unit. I purchaced the same converter kit that my local audio shop installs with thier "professional" installs and the directions stated to splice into the rear channels for the RCA's that plug into the amp.
since i bought my truck i have never sat in the rear seat. One day i decided to sit back there and play with some buttons. i had my radio playing and when i pushed one button it seemed to raise my bass level big time. My truck has too much bass regularly and when i hit that button it seemed to have double the amout that i started off with.
What are your gains on your amp set to? If you turn up your gains you obviously will get more power to your subs.
This post probably didnt answer any of your questions i just wanted to let you know that it isnt just your truck and i installed it the correct way and my system does the same thing. I dont think the problem is the way they installed it.... the problem is the way ford designed that adjustement thing in the back seat.
There is no way you can install an amp the wrong way. Power goes to power, ground goes to ground remote goes to an accessory wire and your rca's go to either a converter or to the amp directly if you have an after market radio. There is no other way to hook up the wires besides the way it is stated.

You are the customer.
If you are unhappy with the product, ask for the manager. If the manager can't help you (or won't), ask for their manager, and theirs, and ...

It has been my experiance (when working in retail) that if you go up enough levels in supervision, something will be done to satisfy the customer.

Good luck.

Back