• Register Today It's free!

Help with my 01 Sport!

DirtDemon85

Reaction score
City, State
Monroe, CT
Year, Model & Trim Level
01' Sport
Hey guys, today on the highway i was doing about 50 with 4x4 high on and all of a sudden there was a clunk and the suv pulled to the right. About another 100 feet it repeated.. i pulled over and saw nothin strange/leaking/broken.

Started going again and same thing happend every once in a while. I turned it to 2wd and doesnt happen anymore.

The two front hubs are newer (less than 7000 miles)

Also i noticed i cant back up and turn @ the same time in 4wd as it binds to much...

Is this a transfer case issue? or maybe a front diff?

Added--- Looked out the window and my trucks leaning.. My front pass side is about 2" lower than the driver side and the wheels are straight.

Possibly a front driveshaft?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Umm, you do know you should not be using 4wd on a dry or otherwise high-traction surface, right?

First off your going WAY too fast for that 4x4 system. The owners manual i do believe says up to 50 or 55 but with little to no snow on the ground will cause a bind in the system and a falure either in your T-case clutch pack or a drive shaft. Second if you feel it binding its doing its job but your not doing yours by using it in the proper conditions. Binding of the drive line is bad and means that you should not be using it(Ie the roads are not allowing slip which a 1 to 1 ratio 4x4 system needs). 1 to 3 inches of snow that has dry places on a highway is the last place you should be using it.

The pulling to the right and the clunk are most likely the system binding too much and releasing tenstion. My wife was driving one day and i experenced this when she freaked out about the vehicle pulling to the right. I was sleeping but found that she had the 4x4 system on when only 2 inches of snow was on the ground.

Also by looking outside to determine if the truck is leaning will not suffice. You need to get a tape measure and in the center of the wheel from the ground to the center of the fender lip. This will give you an accurate reading. Also make sure its level all the way around for if the ground is higher in one place this will throw off your reading.

There's not a limit you can go speed wise with the 4x4 as long as you have a slippery surface. Whether you should be driving that fast on the slippery surface is another thing. But I have driven probably up to 60 in 4wd with no problems.

you might want to check your cv joint on the right side

Back