help with rear diff pinion bearing removal | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

help with rear diff pinion bearing removal

jsun

Reaction score
City, State
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 Explorer Sport SOHC 4x
Need rear diff expertise!

I originally posted this in the general x, and thought I should move it?

I have a hollow grinding noise coming from the rear pinion bearing at the rear diff. It’s a 4.10 LSD from a second gen x with Redline 80W140 gear oil & 4oz’s of Ford friction mod. It seems to be getting worse each day, and I do not have the funds at the moment to take it to a shop like I had intended on doing so. I am fairly mechanically inclined and feel this is something I’m going to have to pull off myself. Are there any special tools or machinery needed to attempt this?

Can someone please provide me with a written procedure or documentation (tips or tricks) from his or her shop Manual for the repair and removal of the rear pinion bearing? Please?

Also, what ill effects can be noticed if a rear pinion bearing requires replacing? What symptoms should I look for? Just to ensure I’m on track with this…

Thanks in advance!

J

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

This job is best done with the rear out of the truck in my opinion. Tools needed: Monster breaker bar and jig to hold on to the yoke to remove the yoke nut. Tools to r/r the pinion seal. Pullers and or brass punches to r/r pinion bearing races (there are two pinion bearings, front and rear) that are pressed into the housing. Shop press to r/r rear bearing that is pressed on to the pinion shaft. Inch-pound torque wrench to set the proper pinion bearing preload - you will need the monster breaker bar and yoke holder jig to smash the new crush sleeve that goes between the front and rear pinion bearings. I have rebuilt two ford rear axles with the help of an experienced mechanic friend - this is no picnic, but not impossible. Also, were the gears set up at the factory, or were they replaced later? Ring and pinion mesh setup is a whole other topic to deal with, involving shims, carrier bearing preload, etc.

Best of luck, Dan

Regarding the effects of a failed front pinion bearing: Leaking yoke seal, dislocation of pinion causing damage/failure of ring and pinion gears.:(

Thanks for the input!

It sounds like a real PITA to do. Also, by the sounds of it, because the gears were set-up from factory I may be looking at more than I had bargained for?

What is a yoke jig? What r the disadvantages of repair with the axel still in tact?

Ring and pinion mesh setup is something a shop should have a look at? Or seeing as though I have gone far enough to replace the pinion bearing it's a matter of removing more parts and adding more time and $$$ to the process?

Thanks again!

J

Originally posted by dan leon
Regarding the effects of a failed front pinion bearing: Leaking yoke seal, dislocation of pinion causing damage/failure of ring and pinion gears.:(

No fluid, and it is the rear. I had the truck off the ground to spin the wheels. I can hear and feel it in the gas pedal. A hollow grinding noise at the pinion shaft, almost sounds like dry bearings?

Can I check for play in the pinion? forward, up or down motion?

Cheers,

J

"Yoke jig" was my lame attempt to describe a tool to hold the yoke while loosening or tightening the yoke nut.

makes scence...thanks!!!

I think I'll give her a shot.

thanks for the help!

J

what's the technical name for this yoke jig? Do autopart store rent them out? I'm stuck at this point trying to regear my Ex to 4:56

Originally posted by Makahveli
what's the technical name for this yoke jig? Do autopart store rent them out? I'm stuck at this point trying to regear my Ex to 4:56

I personaly could not tell you, I had a mech do this for me..

Sorry!

Someone is bound to chime in.

J

Back