• Register Today It's free!

Help with some issues!

wba1981

Reaction score
City, State
CHICAGO
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 AWD XLT
Hi, i just bought a 1997 XLT AWD explorer and the vehicle is in great physical shape. No rust, perfect interior and not a single scratch. The vehicle has 63,000 miles, it has de 4.0 SOHC and a 5 speed automatic transmission. Now, the thing is that when I start it (this doesn't happen every time) some weird noise comes from the engine compartment. It sounds like a chain or something and the noise stays temporarily. As soon as I start driving it goes away. Is this something major that I should be concerned about???.
Also, the bolts on the tailgate that hold the lifters to the glass, one side is outside the vehicle and the other side holds the lifters from the inside of the vehicle. Well, this bolts are rusted and I want to replace them. I have gone to autozone and several other stores and I can't find the pieces I need. Anyone with any info on where I could find this bolts?. If so, please get back to me, it would be greately appreciated. THANK YOU!!!!. Bill

Engine issue sounds like a timing chain issue. There was a TSB out for it but it might have expired. As for the glass bolts, you should be able to pick some up from the dealer. They are not easy to replace, easier to clean them up and paint them.

Thank you so much about your advice for the bolts. I will definitely clean them up and paint them. It's a much better idea. Now about the the problem with the noise in the engine, what is a TSB? And what does and expiration mean?. Also, if it's the timing chain, aside from the TSB, is this a big problem?. What should I do about it. Thank you!.

TSB is a technical service bulletin, issued from Ford, that announcies potential problems. I don't know a whole lot about the issue, I just know it exists. It is a fairly serious problem.

Back