• Register Today It's free!

HELP with wiring harness

MHanrahan

Reaction score
City, State
Massachusetts
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 Sport
I'm attempting to install a JVC head unit, I bought the wiring harness and the face plate thing. My problem is that the wiring harness came with two different connector things, now I see the same two in the back of my factory stereo, the problem is that some of the wires(coming from the jvc) match up with the wires on one of the wiring harnesses, and some also match up with the other one. but that leaves over alot of unused wires, I'm expecting that this is due to my rear control, but I'm not quite sure, so basically I'm kind of confused, if anyone has pics of the wires hooked up it would be much appreciated, or just any sort of info would.
Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

When you say the wires "match up", are you going by wire color? If so, that's not correct! Always match them up by function, and NOT by wire color. The JVC unit should document which wires are +12V, ignition, speaker +/-/L/R, etc. You'll need to find wiring diagrams for the Ford end of the connector, and match them up to the JVC wires appropriately.

You didn't mention which Ford HU you have, but on my am/fm/cass/cd Premium unit, the larger connector is for everything you'll need, and the smaller connector is for the rear controls, which will be left hanging and unused (because only Ford radios understand the rear control signals). Hope this helps.

The harness from the radio and the adaptor harness all should be color coded. The aftermarket has a standard wire coloring. Red= Ignition, Yellow =Battery, Purple= Right Rear, Green= Left Rear, Gray= Front Right, White = Left Fron, Black=Ground, Blue= Power antenna, Blue/White Trace= Amp turn on, Orange/White Trace= Dimmer Lead..
They have been using these colors for quite some time.
There use to be some manufactures that did there own colors years back. But all JVC now adys use this standard color coding.
There will always be some factory wire that will not be used to put a aftermarket radio in.
Some of the wires are for the rear radio controls and the CD Changer option. Also is your radio has the volume that is controlled by vehicle speed therer is a wire that sends in fo to the radio.So there are wires that will not be used.

No sound

I have power, but no sound. My factory unit is the basic cd player, I'm not sure what pacakage that is, but my JVC will turn on but no sound, I checked all the connections , but no luck. There is an extra ground though,I have the black ground hooked up to the ground, but coming from the wiring harness there is an extra ground, does that have anything to do with it. Well I'm off to go screw around with it some more, hopefully I will get it to work.

amp bypass

i would imagine that's probably because you don't have the amp bypass harness. My pioneer is doing the same thing (installed it.. thursday, i think, but i went out of town the next day.. no more time to tinker with it.)

Is there a way to bypass the amp without getting the harness? I don't care about the level of difficulty, I just don't have time right now to wait to get the harness shipped for me, plus save a few extra bucks.

that was exactly it, I had to connect the amp turn on wire. I thought that the factory amps were in the head units, so by taking it out, I would not have to hook up the amp turn on wire, so I took my wiring harness down to where I got it and showed it to the guy that worked there, and he said I just had to hook up that wire, and it worked fine.

Back