Help, Wont start...;.

toddstaples

Reaction score
City, State
Phoenix AZ
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 Sport
98 SOHC 2 dr Sport.
About 3-4 times a week, (when my wife is driving it:D) the EXplorer wont start. If I play with the shifter, (putting it in reverse and raising it back in park putting a little pressure up on the Shifter) I can get it started.
Is there a relay or something in the steering column that would keep it from starting? (maybe it thinks its still in reverse or something....)

Thanks for the help,

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

When you say it wont start, does that mean it doesn't crank at all? If so, there is a neutral safety switch that could cause the problem.

This model year vehicle uses a DTR or Digital Transmission Range sensor. Basically it is a more complicated neutral safety switch that tells the PCM exactly what gear/position the transmission is in. There is an adjustment procedure for this sensor that may help you get it to start on a regular basis.

Yes that is the part and it is possible to do it yourself if you have the right tool. I have the procedure from the Ford service manual with pics if you like.

I can do this.............Thanks soooooo much!!!!!

Back