Help X hard to start after sitting few hours or more!! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Help X hard to start after sitting few hours or more!!

bamacraig

Reaction score
City, State
Birmingham, Al
Year, Model & Trim Level
01 Sport Trac 2wd
Need help my fiance has a 2000 V6 SOHC XLT with 45k that doesn't like to start. Symtoms are X will start fine after it has been running. Problem is that the X is very hard to start after sitting over night or all day at work. To start have to press gas peddle down untill it will stay running usually 30 seconds to several minutes of trying to start and stay running. I did a seach and came up with 3 possible problems: the fuel pump, or IAC or even the camshaft position sensor. I really don't want to just start buying parts untill it is fixed, that gets kind of expensive. Please any help is appreciated. If it is the fuel pump has anyone had theirs replaced and if so how much $$.
Thanks
Craig

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i would look at the cps or iac first... fuel pumps normally last a long time.... and ither they work, or dont, normally not some of the time.......... to do the fuel pump the whole tank has to be dropped from the truck and then replaced through the top of the tank

Check the fuel pressure regulator (if its bad, you should get a CEL code). Before you do this, look for something simple, like a fuel tank pressurization problem: Gas cap on tight, gasket ok, leaking fuel hose to the tank or loose hose clamp at the fuel filler.

Bwana Bob

Sounds like your IAC is bad. Try cleaning it first to see if it does it again.

Just wanted to thank everyone who chimmed in on this thread. It was the IAC, runs like a new X.

Craig

Back