• Register Today It's free!

HElp

smarienau623

Reaction score
City, State
Hackettstown, New Jersey
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 XLT 4wd manual tranny
So heres the story like 3 weeks a ago i screwed up my xlt to make a long story short drove into water hydrolocked it and dumbass towtruck driver drove it down the truck and some how the motor siezed n e way the motor is fixed and now the guys is telling me the he needs to drain the trans and t-case and rears cause there is probably water in them. now he said it would cost a nother $300-$400. now how hard is it to do (im wondering if i can do it and save myself some money) so please help soon. cause i miss driveing it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Changing the fluids is relatively easy. For the tranny you will need to flush it out , and has been done numerous times on this site with great step by step info. Everything else is gonna be drain and fill. Change your filters.

I guess for the price if he was going to power flush the tranny too, that would be good though with labor :dunno:

But for lots less you can put in synthetic all the way around.

If you have the time and few tools you can do it yourself.

Yeah you do it yourself. The transfer case is easy to drain...on the backside there's a "harmonic balancer" with 4 bolts. Remove this, and there will be two plugs that require a 3/8'' drive socket/extension to remove. Drain at the bottom and fill the top plug until it runs out. It takes Mercon ATF. I prefer at least synthetic blend, but this is not the place to argue about that.

I haven't done my Explorer yet, but for the tranny you'd have to pull the pan. This, however, would only get out around half of the fluid, the rest being in the torque converter and stuff. What I've done with other vehicles is to do the pan, then replace the old fluid with new fluid, and with the return line from the tranny cooler off, start the truck and run for a moment to pump fluid into a container. After maybe a quart, stop, add another quart, repeat...until it runs out clean.

Don't do that though until someone more knowledgable replies and says it's okay to do with an A4LD. Um, you have an automatic, right? If it's a manual, then it's a lot simpler, and pretty much like the X-fer case but with the plugs on the driver's side. Again, Mercon ATF.

The rear axle cover can be removed, draining the fluid. Either use a new gasket or ATF, whatever satisfies you. This uses gear oil, 75w140 if you can find it, but I've used 80w90 just fine and has been said on the board to be okay.

I believe the front differential needs to be pumped out through the check plug.

There's your power steering fluid too. Maybe even coolant if it was salt water?

it is a manual trany

it dosent sound too bad and he said there "might" be water in there he dosent know

would it be ok to drive for like 5 or less miles to my house so i can do it

and it wasent salt water and he had to put a new radiator in it n e way

Why did he put a radiator in the truck? Hydrolocking it has absolutely nothing to do with the radiator.....

As for the fluid changes...I would drive it home and do the change in the driveway/garage. Manual tranny/xfer case are easy. You pull the drain plugs out of the bottom and let them drain fully. You then put the bottom plugs back in, and refill through the top plugs until the fluid is level with the bottom of the fill holes. Use Mercon ATF for both the xfer case and the manual tranny (yes, the explorer manual tranny does take ATF). To do the rear axle, you pull the rear cover off, let it drain fully, re-install the rear cover using rtv gasket maker to seal it, and then fill it through the top hole until it's level with the bottom of the fill hole. To do the front axle is a little tougher. You need to buy a suction pump since you can't drain it easily. You remove the fill plug, use the suction pump to drain it, and then fill it the same way as the rear axle. You can get a suction pump from Napa, Advance Auto, Autozone, etc for around $10.

I'd suggest that you buy yourself a Haynes repair manual for the Explorer. It costs about $17, but is great for the backyard and inexperienced mechanic. It has pix and diagrams of how to do just about everything you need to do to your truck.

Good Luck!

on edit. $400 is waay too much for the fluid drain and refill...You can do it yourself for under $50.

he said the radiator had mud in it and the coolent was alsomt black i dunno why or maybe hes messin with me n e way i think im going to call him when i get out of work in the morining and tell him not to do it thanks for the help and if n e one has n e more tips just let me know

he said the radiator had mud in it and the coolent was alsomt black i dunno why or maybe hes messin with me n e way i think im going to call him when i get out of work in the morining and tell him not to do it thanks for the help and if n e one has n e more tips just let me know

Ask him for the old radiator back. Bet he can't produce it....The only way the radiator will be filled with mud is if the cap was off and you poured mud in. IT'S A SEALED SYSTEM!! If the outside was caked with mud, you can wash it off. I smell a scam going on....

I wouldn't take anything else to that mechanic....

No way the radiator had mud in it, and if this guy sees he can get away with that, hold on cause he will take you for a ride. I bet he is filling the radiotor with mud as we speak!

Unless when you hydrolocked you blew a gasket and sent oil into your coolant.

Just backflush your cooling system for good measure in case this guy dumped some stuff in it to make the coolant dark.

Where can you find an honest mechanic these days..it sucks for those who does not know.

How deep did your truck go into the water?

the water was up to the top of the wheels

yeah i was wondering if hes been messing with me

Also if any one know a good mechanic in northern jersey let me know

make a list of the supplies you need and then have at it over the weekend. while your flushing out your coolant system, buy a new thermostat and gasket ( cheap).

what kind of fluid and how much do i need to do the trans, x-fer case, rear, and i guess the front diff (i think)

thanks so much for the help i think i will probably upgrade to elite

Before anything, buy a manual. It gives you capacities and viscosities of needed fluids along with tools needed to do the job.

Read post #5

Keep us posted.

Good luck !

THANKS SO MUCH AGAIN!!

you guys are saving me some money and i will never go back to the guy again

hey one more ? a guy i work with said that if i change the fluids it could cause mechanical problems with the gears if it has never been changed

i thought that it sould be changed at regular intervals but than again i dont know too much n e way thats my question

Smack That Guy!

i will on my next break :) (cause im at work)

so by ur responce i guess he is wrong

If your fluids have never been changed, new fluid will not be your problem. The non change is the problem and your gears would already be affected.

Thats like saying synthetic oil "causes" leaks.

Get the manual and read up...Read as much as you can on this site.

All will be well in fluid city...

Yeah its all done now all i got to the is change the fluids

I love this truck

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So whats the news with the radiator, was it somehow contaminated?

Back