Herculiner to coat my hitch?

tbomb

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Levittown, NY (Long Island)
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Sport 4.0 SOHC 4x4
ive read a lot of threads about people using herculiner to coat rocker panels and stuff like that. i have a reese class 3 receiver hitch and its been on my truck for about 8 months and is starting to rust big time here (in PA theres LOTS of snow and salt on the road in the winter months.) a month ago i took it off, sanded it, and painted it, but im sure that wont last long. i want to keep my hitch looking good and rust-free. now here are my questions:

1) what exactly is herculiner?

2) would it be good for an application like this?

3) where can i get it?

4) is it expensive? (i dont expect a specific answer, but like $10 or more like $50 or something...ballpark it if you can.)

and if anyone has any other suggestions, im open to all of em.
thanks in advance to everyone.

oh, and yes, i will do my best to keep it off my 'hootus.' (GJarret: if you have any suggestions for protecting myself, please fill me in.)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I need to redo my Class V Draw-Tite, also. When I install the shocks I'll unbolt it. Herculiner seems durable enough since it's used for truck beds and rockers... but anyone know the price?

according to the herculiner web site, a quart of black is $29.99. but thats not including brush, roller, scuff pad, or any of the prep materials, but im sure that all of that stuff is available at a home supply store (i.e.: home depot.)

i think this summer, im gonna try it.

herculiner on a reciever hitch, that sounds like a plan to me. Gjarrett ought to be able to tell ya how much it costs and what is envolved in puttin it on, hes put it on everything(including things you wouldnt want to put it on) ive never used the roll on stuff before but ive used that spray can bedliner, its kinda like textured paint, i dont know how well it will hold up to the elements but it looks really cool on spaeker boxes.

Their website has where you can purchase it; K-Mart and other places carry it. Do what you were talking about; just buy the quart and go to Home Depot to get a roller and accessories to apply it. And buy some gloves. :D

It is very tough and durable and will provide good protection. I coated my brushguard and taillight covers with it too. Even if you do ever bang it up just brush a little on the damage and you cannot tell anything happened. If your hitch is rusting be sure to thoroughly clean and remove all rust and moisture before applying since the Herculiner will seal in anything under it when it cures.

Back