• Register Today It's free!

here is my 94' Explorer XLT 4x4

ocb_dave_ocb

Reaction score
City, State
Oak Ridge, Tn
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 Explorer XLT 4x4
As I mentioned in my intro thread, I picked up this 94' Explorer 4x4. I got this rig from a friend for $800 it is pretty clean outside, I need to work on the carpet and things a bit. First order of business was to change the wheels out to the 01 Sport Trac style. Only required a little modding to the front center caps.

Currently the 4x4 isn't engaging. I checked the CM and it flashes 4 times. Next thing im going to move to is the shift motor, if that doesnt fix it im onto the dash switch. (Neither the shift light or the 4x4 light come on when I click 4x4)

Anyway list of things I want to conquer.
CB Radio
Tow Hitch
possibly a small lift

Some pictures for now sorry no before pic of the crappy wheels
021_zpsdb0d9431.jpg

023_zps06136cbf.jpg

020_zps0568b1ea.jpg

017_zps4b6620fb.jpg

016_zps3fc36169.jpg

And a couple of before pics of the mustang.
EWWW when i first bought it.
1998MustangPhotoShoot021.jpg

1998MustangPhotoShoot018.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I made a little progress on the 4x4 issue today, last night I checked the CM and got 4 blinks. Today I decided to pull the shift button, and behold it was unplugged, (the clip is broke on one side). So I plugged it in, and now I hear the relay click, and I also here the motor turning. However I am still not getting the button to light up or the 4x4 to illuminate on the dash. ( I believe the dash light maybe burnt out, it doesnt light up on start up either.)

Next step im going to pull the Shift Motor and change out the worm gear, Im sure its broken.

have u looked at your automatic locking hubs yet to see what kinda of condition they are in while u had the tires of?

When my auto hubs were out the 4x4 light would come on. If the light is not coming on, that's probably a problem with the electric components.

If the light is burnt out, I'd strongly bet its the hubs. I replaced mine with used autos and they still were garbage. Rugged Ridge manuals are cheap and easy to convert to, worth it.

That's a great looking truck!

When my auto hubs were out the 4x4 light would come on. If the light is not coming on, that's probably a problem with the electric components.

If the light is burnt out, I'd strongly bet its the hubs. I replaced mine with used autos and they still were garbage. Rugged Ridge manuals are cheap and easy to convert to, worth it.

I would be concerned about the auto hubs as well. The easiest way to tell is with the ignition on push the 4x4 button and reach down and try to turn the front drive shaft. If it moves it a shift motor problem ($75 at napa).

That's a great looking truck!

I would be concerned about the auto hubs as well. The easiest way to tell is with the ignition on push the 4x4 button and reach down and try to turn the front drive shaft. If it moves it a shift motor problem ($75 at napa).

Yeah I'm going to give this a whirl this weekend. I work crazy hours during the week. I usually work 48-60 hrs mon- Thursday but I'm off fri-sun ... aghhh the joys of being in healthcare lol... but yeah this weekend I'm gonna check out the hubs and do the drive shaft trick

i used that trick to see if my hubs were working or not, Turns out the auto hubs were blown like many peoples ive read about. i found my warn locking hubs at a pick n pull for 20 bucks. i also went around and got extra lock nut sets off dana 35 axles i saw which people had only taken the hub. little pocket extras never hurt. hope u get em working !

I got a little work done today on the explorer..

I took off the door panel it was beige (rest of truck is gray) I sprayed it with gray vinyl and fabric dye. This is temporary until I can locate a gray drivers front door panel.

I took the window motor apart as well (it didn't work at all) I cleaned it up and put some new bushing and grease in there.. It works perfectly now.

I need to find a bezel that goes where the 4x4 shift button and vent are. (Mine vent is broken.)

Didn't get to pull the shift motor yet because i'm waiting on my T-20 Security torx to arrive.

If you want a trailer hitch, Pep Boys can install one for around $250 for the whole package (at least that was my quote). A ball hitch isn't bad, but you can't pull as much. First gen engines pull well, but you might have to invest in a way to cool your tranny if you're pulling a lot for a long time.

Good choice for rims. They look good on it.

If you want a trailer hitch, Pep Boys can install one for around $250 for the whole package (at least that was my quote). A ball hitch isn't bad, but you can't pull as much. First gen engines pull well, but you might have to invest in a way to cool your tranny if you're pulling a lot for a long time.

Good choice for rims. They look good on it.

I'm probably going to get a hitch because I will be pulling a 17' bass boat. But im going to pick up a hitch off of craigslist. There are a few listed on there for around $50.. If not that I will just buy off of E-Trailer and switch out to grade 8 bolts. I probably won't get an additional trans cooler because the boat is light and I wont be pulling far. I live between two large Lake/Dam's ( Norris and Watts Bar). Thanks for the comment on the wheels too..

As far as the 4x4 goes it works. I pulled the shift motor. I finally got my t-20 security bit. The bushing was in little pieces. I cleaned it all up and used some free 1/4" gas line for a new bushing. I am going to change the hubs out to Warn Locking hubs when I fine a good price on them.

The interior door panel turned out pretty decent after a coat of armor-all. I may post a pic or two up later. This site has been great for the how-to's It saved me a lot of money on the window motor and shift motor.

I found door panels at andysdautosport.com it's about $250 (pricey, I know) but they come in all of the stock colors

Back