Here's the answer to getting a USB vs. having to take the car in | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Here's the answer to getting a USB vs. having to take the car in

baxterdown

Reaction score
City, State
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Limited
I am one of those who are being told by syncmyride.com to take my car in for the MFT update. Since I haven't gotten the upgrade package and my dealer kept telling me that they know nothing about them doing the update, I decided to call Ford Customer Relations (CR) today.

Ford CR confirmed that there is a group of owners who are not getting a disk. These owners fall under section FSA11002 of the upgrade plan and MUST take their car into the dealer for the upgrade.

If syncmyride.com is telling you that you need to take your car in, you do. Period. You are supposed to get a letter in the mail, but you don't have to wait for it. Don't delay and get the process started now.

To see if you need to take your car in, go to syncmyride.com. After you log in, click on "Update & Customize" on the top right of the screen and look for this dialog:

mftv2dealer.jpg

If you see the above dialog, you will not be getting a USB drive in the mail. You must take your car into the dealer to have MFT updated.

If your dealer is giving you the runaround, call Ford Customer Relations and ask the representative to call the dealer while you are on the line and speak with your service adviser first, then patch you through. This saves you from running around like a chicken with no head and your SA will get it once and for all. The number for Ford CR is 800-392-3673. This is what I did today and it worked perfectly.

Hopes this helps and settles the "do I need to take my car in?" question popping up around the forum once and for all.

Jose

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I spoke with CS yesterday and although he asks my dealer to do it, they did say that Id be getting one in the mail. Syncmyride says I need to take it in but CS told me that only vehicles with older versions (2.4) will need to go in.

So regarfless of what you are being told, others are being told otherwise by the same dept.

Craig on FB even said that message is wrong.

Who did you talk to? The program is clear and driven by VIN numbers. Your car is either part of the recall, or not. Did Customer Relations call your dealer with you on the phone?

If your dealer is giving you the runaround, call Ford Customer Relations and ask the representative to call the dealer while you are on the line and speak with your service adviser first, then patch you through. This saves you from running around like a chicken with no head and your SA will get it once and for all. The number for Ford CR is 800-392-3673. This is what I did today and it worked perfectly.

The amount of work we the customers have to do to get this right is laughable. I have never had to make a three-way call with OEM representative and the dealership and act as the mediator/facilitator for both other two parties to properly exchange information..what a joke! :thumbdwn:

Too crazy

I have a 2011, build date March 16, 2011. I am a "take it to dealer" person. I am told that I will recieve a letter. I have V2.7 Gen2 sync.

I ran a trial yesterday. After driving on the interstate for 30 minutes (70 mph), I let the car run in the driveway with the a/c running for an hour. The temperature gauge never moved. So luckily my reason for the taking it in shouldn't be an overheating issue.

The amount of work we the customers have to do to get this right is laughable. I have never had to make a three-way call with OEM representative and the dealership and act as the mediator/facilitator for both other two parties to properly exchange information..what a joke! :thumbdwn:

Then add to that.........Ford wants you to bring your vehicle in and inconvenience you as apposed to you doing the upgrade at home when you have time.

So they want the vehicle because they have identified a serious issue with the cooling system and the fans.

Do they fix that issue while they have your vehicle to inconvenience you the least and make the vehicle safe ? as a posed to letting you overheat and have to come back again?.......nope

It will be another trip.

Im getting a little tired of this.

Then add to that.........Ford wants you to bring your vehicle in and inconvenience you as apposed to you doing the upgrade at home when you have time.

So they want the vehicle because they have identified a serious issue with the cooling system and the fans.

Do they fix that issue while they have you vehicle to inconvenience you the least and make the vehicle safe ? as a posed to letting you overheat and have to come back again?.......nope

It will be another trip.

Correct, you would think they might as well swap out those suspect fans... But no, they rather wait untill the customer is stranded on the side of the road with an overheated engine :thumbdwn:
It's been said many times: us customers with early builds should ALL get a radiator fan RECALL!

Do they fix that issue while they have you vehicle to inconvenience you the least and make the vehicle safe ? as a posed to letting you overheat and have to come back again?.......nope

It will be another trip.

I suppose the reason they likely can't fix the problem, if it occurs, is because the cooling fan assembly probably isn't a stocked item and has to be ordered.
Had mine updated yesterday and it didn't come close to overheating. I was told if it did, they would stop the update and call Ford, I assume to get the go ahead to replace the fans.
So far so good with the MFT. UNfortunately I had a single 'random windshield wipe' this morning. I hope that isn't coming back again.

Peter

I suppose the reason they likely can't fix the problem, if it occurs, is because the cooling fan assembly probably isn't a stocked item and has to be ordered.
Had mine updated yesterday and it didn't come close to overheating. I was told if it did, they would stop the update and call Ford, I assume to get the go ahead to replace the fans.
So far so good with the MFT. UNfortunately I had a single 'random windshield wipe' this morning. I hope that isn't coming back again.

Peter

I had my wipers fixed on Feb 29. I have had two phantom wipes since then. One a week after the fix and one about three days ago.

I think most us have given up hope getting an answer.

As you and couple others here suggested from day1, the continued use of Flash will rear its ugly head as time goes on. Mine gets slower and less responsive as time goes on. Im not going except "just do a master reset every week" as a solution.

When you ask anything now you get 3 different answers so I have given up.

Peter, Im getting phantom wipe again after TSB fix too.

I think most us have given up hope getting an answer.

As you and couple others here suggested from day1, the continued use of Flash will rear its ugly head as time goes on. Mine gets slower and less responsive as time goes on. Im not going except "just do a master reset every week" as a solution.

When you ask anything now you get 3 different answers so I have given up.

Peter, Im getting phantom wipe again after TSB fix too.
I had 2 today. One on each of the two trips I made. Everything was fine from when I had that fixed (Jan. 6) until the MFT update was done yesterday.

Peter

Excuse me for being blind, but what answer does this give us? I see no new information here?
I don't see where there is any confusion. There are 3 known types of update

001: older software in early vehicles that need IDS update. Tech needs to hook up to Ford site to install software.

002: older vehicles that may or may not have fan issues. Probability of having this fan issue after having the vehicle this long and not experiencing it already ..... minimal. Ford at least did something proactive.

003: The lucky people.

Pretty straight forward. Not the optimal solution but a solution non the less. Updates done. Fans checked. If fans are faulty they get replaced. There's no Magic answer. There is fan problem "in some not all" explorers. For them to replace all the fans based on it might be bad is bad business planning. They're in the business of making money. Not throwing it away.

I don't see where there is any confusion. There are 3 known types of update

001: older software in early vehicles that need IDS update. Tech needs to hook up to Ford site to install software.

002: older vehicles that may or may not have fan issues. Probability of having this fan issue after having the vehicle this long and not experiencing it already ..... minimal. Ford at least did something proactive.

003: The lucky people.

Pretty straight forward. Not the optimal solution but a solution non the less. Updates done. Fans checked. If fans are faulty they get replaced. There's no Magic answer. There is fan problem "in some not all" explorers. For them to replace all the fans based on it might be bad is bad business planning. They're in the business of making money. Not throwing it away.

The reason for the confusion is that Ford hasn't been exactly clear and members have been getting different stories from Ford and from dealerships.

Read the whole thread and you will see the multitude of different stories people have been getting re: the update from dealers and from the IVT support team.

Some members even pointed out the TSB you cited to the mechanics and were told that the only reason they have to come in is the fans. No difference in software and no different procedure regardless of which category the vehicle is in. Maybe the mechanics are wrong. But it's still Ford's problem for not properly informing their dealerships on the particulars.

The reason it matters is that some people have reported problems and instability with their software after the install. They want to know if it could be related to improper procedure on the part of their dealer (e.g., not doing a reflash) or something along those lines - or just another bad software release.

I was lucky and was able to do it myself - although I had it in the shop for some repairs anyway so I had the dealership install it prior to getting the update in the mail.

The reason for the confusion is that Ford hasn't been exactly clear and members have been getting different stories from Ford and from dealerships.

Read the whole thread and you will see the multitude of different stories people have been getting re: the update from dealers and from the IVT support team.

Some members even pointed out the TSB you cited to the mechanics and were told that the only reason they have to come in is the fans. No difference in software and no different procedure regardless of which category the vehicle is in. Maybe the mechanics are wrong. But it's still Ford's problem for not properly informing their dealerships on the particulars.

The reason it matters is that some people have reported problems and instability with their software after the install. They want to know if it could be related to improper procedure on the part of their dealer (e.g., not doing a reflash) or something along those lines - or just another bad software release.

I was lucky and was able to do it myself - although I had it in the shop for some repairs anyway so I had the dealership install it prior to getting the update in the mail.

O.K. I'm lost here. Since when does a mechanic overide a decision made by Corporate. Tell the mechanic and the dealership to follow the procedure on the FSA. AA01 has to be hooked up to the IDS system. AA02 is same install as people who get the USB in the mail. Only difference is they are going to check the fans. Plain and simple.

If I bring my vehicle in to have it fixed say for.... hmmmmm... AA01. And the tech updates with a USB stick and not by hooking it up to the computer then they haven't done it right. Make sure you know if your upgrade is AA01 or AA02. Not hard to follow. Have your dealer run your VIN. Mine did and said it was a AA02. Updated it and everything has been gravy since.

Simple enough. Ford Service Action. Not a TSB by the way. It's called an FSA. There is a big difference.

O.K. I'm lost here. Since when does a mechanic overide a decision made by Corporate. Tell the mechanic and the dealership to follow the procedure on the FSA. AA01 has to be hooked up to the IDS system. AA02 is same install as people who get the USB in the mail. Only difference is they are going to check the fans. Plain and simple.

If I bring my vehicle in to have it fixed say for.... hmmmmm... AA01. And the tech updates with a USB stick and not by hooking it up to the computer then they haven't done it right. Make sure you know if your upgrade is AA01 or AA02. Not hard to follow. Have your dealer run your VIN. Mine did and said it was a AA02. Updated it and everything has been gravy since.

Simple enough. Ford Service Action. Not a TSB by the way. It's called an FSA. There is a big difference.

Don't shoot the messenger. I'm just trying to explain to you why some people are (understandably) confused because you asked. Look at the whole MFT update sticky and you will see the myriad of stores people were getting and the confusion it was causing. They hear one thing from Ford and another from their dealer and another from someone else's dealer.

Ya and too add to this previous post it's not as simple as "Tell the mechanic and dealership to follow the procedure on the FSA"

Not all dealer Tech's or Servce Writiers do what the customer says.

Look at all the owners here begging to get their vehicles fixed under the TSB's.

Lots of people on here have argued the point with their Service Writers, even going on a 3-Way conference call with IVT Support staff to get the dealer to do what you suggest.

Keep in mind not everyone here has had a smooth transition to the new Upgrade and hearing 3 different versions of what we need to do is confusing.

IVT looked up my VIN and told me my package was in the mail. Then I logged on to SYNCMYRIDE and it said take the vehicle to the dealership for additional software from the Ford PTS site as your vehicle is under FSA11A01.

I went to the dealer and the dealer Tech said "sorry your vehicle came up as FSA 11A02, I didn't download any new software."

So it's not as clear & simple as you suggest.

Back