Hesitation at acceleration | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Hesitation at acceleration

Reaction score
City, State
Minneapolis, MN
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 XLT 4.0 SOHC
My explorer is having trouble accelerating, especially from a stop. If I try to accelerate normally, the engine hesitates and makes a distinct puttering sound likes it's going to stall (has NOT stalled yet though). If I accelerate very very lightly I don't seem to have a problem and once I'm going the problem bascially goes away. Runs a bit rough at idle and has stalled a couple of times when in Park.

Ran Scanner and found the following:(sorry can't find the paper with the code numbers but here's what I can remember)

• EGR vaccum regulator solenoid
  • evap system canister vent solenoid fault
  • a fuel pressure code (can't remember which)

I will check the codes again today and repost them exactly

Here's what I have done so far:
  • cleaned AIC valve
  • checked air filter
  • changed spark plugs
  • changed fuel filter
  • changed PCV valve
  • checked fuel pressure regulator (no gas in vaccuum, looked good)
  • checked fuel pressure (9 psi @ on position, 39 psi while running)
  • cleaned throttle body

My next thoughts were to replace the EGR solenoid, valve, and/or plug wires.

My neighbor also thought I could have a clogged Catalytic Converter. My exhaust does sound like sh**. I also should note that last November my OD went out the the tranny. Took it to the dealer and they found metal in the pan. They told me tranny would fail in about a month or so. Guess not. This acceleration problem doesn't seem to me to be tranny related, but I'm not an experienced mechanic and am not ruling anything out.

If anyone has any suggestions I would appreciate it a lot.
Aaron

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Okay, here's the updated list of error codes I'm currently experiencing.

• p1762 OD band failed
  • p0750/55/60/65 shift solenoids A-D
  • p0135 O2 Heater circuit bank 1, sensor 1
  • p0155 O2 Heater circuit bank 2, sensor 1
  • p1747 Pressure control solenoid A short circuit
  • p1451 Evaporative Emission System Vent Control circuit
  • p1409 EGR Vacuum Regulator solenoid circuit

I took out the MAF sensor and cleaned with elec parts spray. Didn't look too dirty and still have same problem. I also checked the voltage on the wire harness while the car was running. Measured 14V between terminals A and B but could not get a reading between C and D. Chilton book says I should be reading .34-1.96V here.

I guess I'm not sure how to check the vacuum lines/intake manifold gasket for leaks. The scan tool didn't comeback with anything about the DPFE. One thing that I was unsure of however was when I changed the PCV valve, it was not directly connected to the lower intake manifold. It was simply spliced in between a hose(which I assume led to the LIM) and a tee above it. I just had never seen as PCV valve placed like that before but maybe that's more common than I know.

Now I guess I'd be interested in knowing how to check for vacuum/gasket leaks and what anyone out there thinks about my lack of voltage b/w the C and D terminals on the MAF harness. Also any other ideas given the error codes I've posted.

Thanks

It could be a vacuum leak.

Listen for a sucking sound under the hood while running. Also try starter fluid around the vacuum lines and connections. (The engine will rev when you find the leak!)

Tried using carb cleaner to check for leaks. No luck, although I'd never done this before so I can't say I hit every spot I needed to. The engine actually sounds pretty steady at idle so I'm thinking it's not a leak issue. I did notice one of the wiring harnesses for an o2 sensor was partially melted exposing a sliver of copper, but I'm not thinking that's my problem.

Anyway, keep the advice coming. I could use it. These are some things I'm considering at the moment.

New Cat Converters
clean fuel injectors
new EGR vacuum solenoid

also if anyone knows about the MAF voltage issue I talked about in previous post, let me know. I'm curious about that.

Thanks

Still tryin' to figure out what the problem is. One thing I did notice is that one fuse in particular keeps blowing. It's the one in the D-box that powers the HO2 sensors, EGR vacuum reg, EVR Solenoid and Camshaft Position sensor, and Canister Vent Solenoid......A-ha. This looks like a promising lead but the problem is I have no idea how to find where the short is occuring. Is there an easier way than just following all the wires looking for breakage/exposed copper?

..I'm not familiar with your year X but I would look for wires touching the exhaust manifold and pipes..:dunno:

Okay.......time to finish this thread. Tbars, you were right on and I guess so was I if you read the 3rd post in this thread. The wiring harness for an o2 sensor came in contant with the exhaust and melted the wires a bit. Initially it didn't look like much but upon further inspection there was indeed enough copper exposed to short the circuit and pop the fuse controlling all of those vital devices.

Cut the wires, spliced them and zip-tied the loose wire harness to the o2 sensor. A new 15A fuse and we're back in business. Glad I put new plugs in though....runs better than ever.

Thanks to all that chimed in on this one.:D

...I'm glad you found it to be an easy fix..:thumbsup:

...All it takes is enough plastic to melt on a wire to get it to jump an arc..;)

I am having this same problem now with those same codes I had it to the shop that replaced the fuse and repaired a badly spliced wire engine harness from a previous mechanic, drove it 2 weeks and still the same problem. The fusee blew again, but they put the wrong amp in so I took it back and they realized it needed a 15Amp fuse but it blew again within a couple hours. The third fuse in, so far it's good, but I'm wondering if I need to check the exhaust. We will see.

..If you are blowing fuses, something has not been repaired or repaired properly...:(

..I would research what all is linked to the fuse that blows...

I have the same problem with my 91 but the check engine light comes on and then goes away after a bit

..Do a search on here for "Paperclip" and it will help you find your stored codes.

Bring the codes back here in a new thread and we can help you with that issue..;)

i have a 02 ranger and when i hit the gas i hear loud wind noises and then
when i try to speed up it takes forever and if i go up hill my speed drops fom 60 to 30, i dont know waht to do. i have changed my air filter already. im a girl so of course not taking it in to a shop where ill be robbed.

i have a 02 ranger and when i hit the gas i hear loud wind noises and then
when i try to speed up it takes forever and if i go up hill my speed drops fom 60 to 30, i dont know waht to do. i have changed my air filter already. im a girl so of course not taking it in to a shop where ill be robbed.
Which engine? Find an auto parts store that checks trouble codes for free, write down the numbers, and report back here.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2054355&postcount=2

Back