Hesitation issue. 2004 Explorer XLT | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Hesitation issue. 2004 Explorer XLT

allmanz

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Explorer XLT
My 2004 Explorer XLT 6cyl. has had a hesitation problem since a month or two after taking new delivery from the dealer. They were never able to solve the problem. :eek:It does it about 80% of the time when accelarating from a stopped position. Any thoughts or comments would be greatly appreciated.
I'm taking delivery of a snowmobile trailer this weekend and I need to get mirror extensions. My XLT has the puddle lights. Any thoughts on extensions or slip ons would be greatly appreciated as well.
Thanks so much.
Dennis

Welcome to the forums :salute:

What type of hesitation are you experiencing? Is the engine skipping? Does it just seem like there's a loss of power? Is your check engine light coming on?

A simple tuneup might not be a bad idea. How many miles does your Ex have on it? I just took delivery of my 2nd Explorer last week....a 2003 Eddie Bauer with the V8 and after about 200 miles on the 82k mile SUV it started 'skipping'. At first I thought it might have been bad fuel that I put in it, so I ran a can of Seafoam in the gas tank and got through about 3/4 of a tank and the issue persisted. It then tripped the Service Engine Soon light and I went to Advance Auto Parts and had them read the codes. Turned out to be a misfire in one of the cylinders, so I bought new plugs. Just got through installing them today in fact, ran the truck about 10 miles and the skipping is gone. The engine light is still on but I am going to disconnect the battery to reset the computer and see if it goes away.

Again, welcome to the forums. I'd like to hear you elaborate a little more on your situation, how many miles are on your truck and I'm sure others will chime in as well! :thumbsup:

Had the same problem in my 2000 Eddie Bauer. Went to the AutoZone and ran some codes even though the check engine light never appeared. My 1995 XLT did the same and it was the plugs. So checked the plugs in the 2000, plugs were bad on it too. Gave it a tune up and I also ran some seafoam in the gas tank. So far so good.

Back