Hey guys, would this be a problem? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Hey guys, would this be a problem?

Sign of Cobra

Reaction score
City, State
Nowata, Oklahoma
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Explorer
I have a 2001 ex 5.0 that I think is getting weak on the lower end, {bearings}. I also have a great 98 ex 5.0 and was wondering if I could use the 98 short block and heads, then use the 2001 intake, injectors, etc. to make it work. Then bolt it into the 2001 ex?
Thanks up front for any advise.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Make sure the 98 has gt40p heads and you'll be fine. Might need to swap the cam synchro. I'm not sure when they changed

98 had gtp heads they started that in 97 yes it should all work.

The 98-01 302's are the same except for the injectors/rail, and the cam synchronizer. Use those from the 99-01 engine, and the best of the rest.

Make sure the 98 has gt40p heads and you'll be fine. Might need to swap the cam synchro. I'm not sure when they changed
Really appreciate the help. Thank you.

The 98-01 302's are the same except for the injectors/rail, and the cam synchronizer. Use those from the 99-01 engine, and the best of the rest.
Don, I appreciate your help. Thanks.

That should be a fairly easy swap, R&Ring the engine/trans will be the toughest part.

Take good care of your 2001 wiring, it has the perfect match wiring for the original injectors and cam synch. You could make use of the 98 wires of something on the 01 set gets hurt, but try to be easy with it, it's all fragile at this age.

Back