• Register Today It's free!

Hi-Mileage 95 worth the $?

rickb928

Reaction score
City, State
Gilbert, AZ
Year, Model & Trim Level
'00 V8 XLT
Here's the scoop: '95 XLT AWD, leather, moonroof, everything but the subwoofer and info center. And paid for a long time ago. I love this truck... But:

234k miles. Engine strong and quiet, needs upper idler pulley. Transmission never apart. I know... And I get 18-19mpg driving 70% hiway, no lie. I got the receipts. And a front diff seal leak when hot from the hiway. Had steering rack, rear axle seals, brakes, tie rod ends recently.

Tranny trouble: 2-3 flare, I had the trans flushed. Now:

1. When cold, harsh shifts up and down. VERY harsh sometimes.
2. After warmup, gentle shifts.
3. Occasionally flashing O/D light. Must reset ECU to turn it off.
4. Occasionally, shifts flawlessly, FLAWLESSLY.
5. Sometimes, only some shifts are harsh.

I have an appt with a shop, and they understand - not quoting a rebuild, but looking into valve body, servo replacement, etc. I feel like the internals must be pretty good for the flawless shifting to occur, but I expect the valve body needs to be cleaned, re-gasketed, and torqued properly. I hope not for a rebuild.

Question for all you Explorer lovers... Is this worth a tranny rebuild? God help me, I love it so. But sometimes ya gotta let go... Help me make the right choice... thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I say it depends on how much they want.
Sounds like there is some life left in your Ex although milage might indacate otherwise...

Is it a V6 or V8? You did not state. AWD was only available with the V8 & I didn't think the V8 was available in '95.

sounds like a great truck and one that has taken care of you for awhile...if it were me and i really wanted to keep it....i would get a newly rebuilt engine and tranny and put them both in at the same time...it seems like it suits your needs and the milage is good...what could you replace it with and not have to worry about it...otherwise, now is the time to get rid of her...just my opinion...

ENgine

I say AWD, but it's 4x4, 4.0 of course.

Putting an engine in is overkill. I'd have to let it go... And the engine is strong, no leaks, knocks, or faults. Of course, it's time for ignition parts and keep the oil fresh...

When the OD light is blinking, the trans will shift harder as it's in 'limp' mode. It sounds like you are having shifting problems even after you reset the ECU. With that many miles, I suspect most shops are going to try and sell you a rebuilt trans for around 2k. Let us know how you make out. I have a 95 with 176k on it and no trans problems (yet). My OD light will start blinking about every 6-9 months, I pull the codes and they don't reveal anything. So I just reset them.

otherwise, now is the time to get rid of her...just my opinion...

How will he sell it when it's not driving properly? I say fix it or just buy a new car. Apply the 2,000 towards a newer vehicle. Keep driving yours till it falls apart (literally) then sell it for $500 as-is.

I should tell you all that when the O/D light is flashing, the trans shifts very nicely. Not harsh, just firm. I reset it overnight, and now the only flaw is the original 2-3 flare, which also manifests as a 4-3 kickdown flare and something called a 'hunt', where it downshifts from 4 to 3, flares terrible, I let off the gas it shifts into 4, then any throttle pressure forces it back to flare into 3 as the speed has dropped too much to keep it in 4. I end up revving the engine 2-3 times to get it to select 3 and do what it oughta. Funky. But I'm expecting a valve body fix for sure, and getting ready for the shop to rebuild it. We'll see.

I vote to keep it! After 234k putting a bit of TLC in it (and $$) for maintenance is understood. The gas mileage is superb (my 95 is about the same). Freshen that Tranny up and go another 250k!

Well, it finally left my on the shoulder. After a week of running really well it spun the engine in O/D. I couldn't climb a gentle hill, it just slowed. I got off the highway, and no 1st or 2nd gear, just reverse. Towed to a decent trans. shop (he spends his nights working on his race cars kinda place), and the verdict is overhaul. At 247,500+ the verdict is: Convertor, center support, solenoids, EPC, servos, FRONT PLANET!, all bands, all clutches. He even discouraged looking at a rebuild locally, he's thinking the core isn't acceptable any more. Looking through the yards locally for something cheap. Tech agrees, it's in good enough shape to try and fix, but $2200 for their rebuild is the quote. Oh, and front pinion seal on rear diff of course, while we're in there. U joints if needed.

Oh my. My wife's 98 Saab 900 needs 2nd gear fixed, no sync. So you don't all feel too bad about ford prices, that's about $3,000.

I may let them rebuild it. But a well-spoken-for yard tranny would also be ok. Maybe I can get out of this for less than $1500, which would be a blessing.

Otherwise, you'll be seeing a '95 XLT 4x4 in good shape for sale in the Phoenix area. "COLD A/C, just needs a tranny..." What a line, huh?

Thanks guys.

Back