• Register Today It's free!

Hi Temp Low Oil warning light

Exp03Limited

Reaction score
City, State
Austin TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Limited AWD
My 03 Explorer temp/oil warning light has been coming on and going off intermittently. When it does, the oil pressure gauge also drops to nothing and the computer says "low oil pressure". It continues to drive well and engine temperature does not increase out of the norm. This has been happening for a while now and I'm not sure where to look.

I found another thread that is similar so I checked the wiring at the crossmember for any worn areas but mine was fine. I removed the wire from the oil sensor by the filter to clean it, left it off and started the car and it did report low oil pressure. Reconnected it and cleared then warning came back and then cleared 5 minutes later so not sure what's going on.

How can I check if the sensor is working during the time the warning light is on? Any ideas what else it could be? Thanks for any help!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

one of my other trucks had a similar problem, the gage would jump around. Other boards suggested the 'cheapest and quickest' test is to replace it, it was only $20 and i swapped in 2min in the parking lot no less. Figure any diagnostic fee would cost more than a new sensor???

Did your gauge work sometimes just fine? And did replacing the oil sensor at the block fix your issue? I guess I figured it wouldn't be the sensor since it works most of the time. I'll see what a new one costs, just overpaid for a cruise control switch at the dealer hoping to fix my other problem (ABS warning light).

i bought one of those cruise switch too. . . .

on the jeep yes it did, sometimes it worked and posted 40psi, other times it shot up to 90psi then down to 10psi. Sometime it would read wrong for a while, erratic on startup, and then ok for a few days.

Just paid $8 for the oil sending unit, going to swap it this weekend and get the oil changed as well. <fingers crossed> hoping this fixes the problem.

So far so good, replacing the oil sending unit seems to have fixed the problem. Also, replacing the cruise control switch on the brakes stopped the ABS light coming on. Not bad for $32 in parts and a bit of oil on an old shirt. :) Thanks guys. :thumbsup:

Back