HID 10000K in Diamond Headlights | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

HID 10000K in Diamond Headlights

Just in case anyone is wondering about installation of the HID kit on a 1995 Explorer (not sure if it applies to others, but i assume it applies at least from 1995-2001 4 door models) HID kit is easy to install. Just follow the directions the only thing that confused us at first was where to plug the headlights in to. All you do is slide the 2 metal pieces in the OEM socket. A search online will show you which goes where (Theres only 3 spots to put 2 wires... can't be too hard right)

Anyway, it looks AMAZING and I will post pictures soon. I also have diamond cut corners and they look amazing with it... and the LED's I bought match the HID headlights perfect.

All of my lights were purchased off of ebay. The Diamond cut corners and Diamond cut headlights came in the same package for about 120 dollars.
The LED's were 21 LED HID hyper white led's. I will post more information later.

The way the lights look on our explorers is so amazing I just had to waste your time and tell you.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

well thats good u got hid's

Its bad you got a kit off ebay, it blinds the **** out of people

Afboy143 said:
it blinds the **** out of people

I'm not sure of that. I havent seen HIDs in the diamond headlights. May be the optics are better than the stock and less prone to glare. WhiteX will find out soon enough.
Where are the pics? We need Pics.

Afboy143 said:
well thats good u got hid's

Its bad you got a kit off ebay, it blinds the **** out of people

I have a 12000k HID kit off the Bay..... what does it coming off of Ebay have to do with blinding people? I have 12000k headlights and 6000k foglights. It isnt any more blinding with them both on than my Audi's projector HIDs are.

I don't know why people choose such a high temp bulb? You lose a lot of output with 10000k.

eBay kits or any other plug 'n play kits are going to create a lot of glare in non-HID headlights.

You're better off tinting the dam headlight blue rather than getting 10k+... I don't get it, ruins the entire purpose of HIDs

The diamond cut corners I purchased have a projector-like thing in them... not just u plug the bulb in and it randonly disperses the light. it shines exactly where I want it and it looks damn good I will post pictures soon.

I like the 10000K color temp and I have a friend with a 6000K HID kit and it really isn't that noticably brighter. Nobody is complaining at all about the lights, and they shine the road just how I adjusted the diamond cuts, no random dispersing as I said.

You are right, I have seen a few people who put HID kits in stock assemblies and it has to be the most retarded thing I have ever seen.

You would have to see the setup in person to appreciate how well it all worked out.

I will post pictures soon...

and also there are at least 2 different kinds of Diamond Cut headlights... My old ones did not have the "projector" (if thats even what it is) that you plug the bulb into inside the light... but you can't see it it's a chrome colored object inside that blocks ur view of the bulb.. but i guess it shines back on the diamond cut ridged and shines better...

My old diamond cuts were just a hole there (like the stock) where you stuck the bulb in and could see it clearly if you bent down an dlooked at the headlight..

It is just like the ones on our jeep liberty and jeep wrangler. (the projector things.. if anyone knows what they are really if they arent projectors let me know)

Anyway, so some cat out there may have them in diamonds and they be distracting as hell... while other sof us bought ours off EBAY (like me) and got the ones that don't do that.

the diamond cuts at www.lightlens.com for 350 bucks were the ones without the projectors..
and the ones that for 150$ come with Diamond Lights and Diamond corners off EBAY are the ones that worked for me and are better quality. PLUS these were MUCH easier to install and the adjuster for the headlights didn't break and was fully functional, unlike the lightlens.com version. Wierd huh?

I know what you're talking about, the round thing in the diamond lights. I'm not sure what it's called or really even what it's for.

I would call it a "shield".
While the 6, 10, & 12K lights dont put out as many lumens as the 4300K bulbs do they are still a hell of a lot brighter than the halogen bulbs.
I started out w/600K bulbs in the Cad projectors and eventually changed to 4300K for the additional brightness. It is probably my age that needs the 4300K because as your eyes age they loose vision in some of the bluish light spectrum. To a younger guy there probably isnt as much difference between the bulbs as there is to me.

draft said:
You're better off tinting the dam headlight blue rather than getting 10k+... I don't get it, ruins the entire purpose of HIDs

I have 12000k headlights, and I dont think it ruins the purpose of HIDs. I can't see any difference in total light output between my 6000k fogs and my headlights. My Audi S4 came stock with 12000k.

My convervion kit(hb5) has reflectors built onto the bulbs, so it projects in the same pattern that my factory low beams did. There is no "glare" with my kit at all. I could see getting bad results from diamonds that dont have the shield used with bulbs that do not have a reflector.

Pics

Here are some shots of the setup.

Attachments

• HID lights.JPG
    HID lights.JPG
    47.4 KB · Views: 779
  • HIDheads.JPG
    HIDheads.JPG
    44.9 KB · Views: 759
  • HID projection.JPG
    HID projection.JPG
    24.8 KB · Views: 765

The picture doesn't do it much justice. Although it may not be as open-beamed as HID lights that come stock on cars, it sure lights up the road 3x as bright and I like the color. Its about 15% blue/purple and 85% hyper white (on the road) Yet the bulbs give a slightly more exotic colorful look than the stock HID kits. A bit more of a blue/purple tint. The LED's match perfectly. (there are ones on ebay that are 21 LED hyper whites and some that are I think 12 LED... the 12 led are way too purple... the 21 LED would look great on 8000k - 12000k systems. (If you want them to match)

Here are more pictures

The first picture is my newer EBAY diamond corners.

The second picture is the OLD diamond corners. (notice how you can see the bulb head)

Attachments

• DIAMONDCUT.JPG
    DIAMONDCUT.JPG
    91.9 KB · Views: 764
  • old diamonds.JPG
    old diamonds.JPG
    73.3 KB · Views: 721
  • DIAMONDDARK.JPG
    DIAMONDDARK.JPG
    52.4 KB · Views: 753

Looks decent to me, but the output doesn't look that great - but like you said, the pictures does't do it justice. Looks cool to me - so when you turn on your headlight switch the headlights "ignite" instead of just turning on?

-Drew

Yeah, they work with the stock headlight switch.

The picture sucks, it's hard to let you see what it looks like from the ****pit. I can see FOREVER ahead of me and it's bright as all hell. No drivers have complained and I love how it looks. FOR SURE worth $210

No matter what, HID retro kits into halogen housings cause glare and its illegal. The reason its illegal is because it causes glare to oncoming drivers thus blinding them. HID light does not project the same as halogen. HID is a lot more widespread which is why it needs projectors. Not to mention it is 3x brighter. Yes, the light looks good but HID kits into halogen is half assing IMHO.

anything above 6000K is a waste of money to go HID with. You guys can argue all you want, the facts back up the fact that if you go above 6000K, the lumens are just about the same as a standard halogen bulb. The "extra light" or "extra brightness" or the "seeing for days" is prolly from the HID light scattered everywhere from being in an improper housing. Argue all your want, people who know their stuff about HID can agree with me(on the most part anyway) Trust me, I wanted to do a HID EBAY kit but after doing much HW its not worth it.

This is why I did a projector retrofit into diamond housing. This is the correct way to do it and will not blind drivers. It also takes full potential of the lighting, projecting it all onto the ground and not everywhere else it shouldnt be.

headlight.jpg

light41.jpg

This is BMW projectors and 4300k bulbs

As you can see, all the light is aimed toward the ground(the cutoff line is so far up because my driveway is at an incline)
fin2.JPG

Do the exact same thing against your garage door and take a pic and tell me your not blinding people.

light5.jpg

Oh yeah, and the shield in the middle is supposed to protect the housing from the heat of the bulb and cut down on the glare from a halogen bulb.

Any retrofit is illegal, but I'm sure the HID scatter would be much more noticeable to a cop.

My retrofit kit, with the exception of the bulbs, is FULLY DOT approved. Your projectors,while nice looking, are in no way street legal. Great job on them by the way:) --I think the are awesome, but I dont think you could get an inspection sticker in Mississippi with them.... depending on the shop. My good friend had a projector conversion on his Accord and had difficulties getting a sticker.

My 12000k bulbs are still rated at 3000lumens, which is about standard for HIDs. The reflector that is built onto my bulbs make them project into the exact same pattern as my stock low beams. I am using the stock headlight housings. My Explorers headlights are still not as bright as my cars factory projectors.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

justin146 said:
My retrofit kit, with the exception of the bulbs, is FULLY DOT approved.
Is not.

Back