HID - 35w, 55w, headlight and foglights...which to choose? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

HID - 35w, 55w, headlight and foglights...which to choose?

Wanting to order a set of HID healights and HID foglights for my 03. I am looking at the kits from DDM: http://www.ddmtuning.com

They offer a 35w and a 55w kit, with a wide spectrum of colors. My headlights are a 9006 and foglights are 9145 (H10). I believe that for the foglights I will need to stick with a 35w, because the 55w puts out a lot more heat. Theoretically I would like the fogs and headlights to match, but for the headlights I really wanted to go with a 55w set.....

I like the 6000k color and brightness. I considered a 3000k fog, but my SUV is lifted and has stock fog lights which are not adjustable, and I do not want to have big yellow lights at rear view mirror height.

Should I just do 35w with the same color for both head and fogs, or if I do 55w heads and 35w fogs, what colors should I have to achieve a 6000k look that matches as close as possible?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

heres mine with 8000k head and 3000k fogs and i get flashed all the time but who cares.

Not to be rude, but being flashed all the time isnt something to blow off. You're blinding other drivers, pretty f'ed up.. Thats why you dont put HID bulbs in a regular housing. Or if you do, you aim them low so you wont blind drivers... :thumbdwn:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

well i dont know how to aim them lower and dont want to screw up my light alignment can you take it somewhere to get them aimed.

Probably not with HID bulbs, but it's easy to do yourself. Open your hood, there should be a small rod or something above the headlights, that you can turn and it will adjust the headlight tilt up and down.

Go out at night somewhere and tilt them as low as you can with still being able to see the road. Of course, you wont be able to see as well as you can with them up high, but its a compromise to not blind other people.

I replaced my headlight bulbs with some Phillips XTreme ones, and had to adjust my lights several times before I could see the road well and people would stop flashing.

...i get flashed all the time but who cares.

:rolleyes:

Not to be rude, but being flashed all the time isnt something to blow off. You're blinding other drivers, pretty f'ed up.. Thats why you dont put HID bulbs in a regular housing. Or if you do, you aim them low so you wont blind drivers...

Ditto.

If you're not willing to take the time to make them safer fo others around you, then you need to go back to halogens. I see too many ricers around here with the same attitude.

Spencer, just go back to the folks that installed the lights and have them do the adjustment for you. Maby even watch them so you can learn how it's done and then you can "fine tune" the adjustments to your driving style.
Nothing you can do will permanently screw up your light adjustment. Especially when it seems like its already screwed up.
Getting flashed isnt good for anyone.

Probably not with HID bulbs, but it's easy to do yourself. Open your hood, there should be a small rod or something above the headlights, that you can turn and it will adjust the headlight tilt up and down.

IIRC, it's a 4mm socket, forget which direction goes down though....

On my 2nd gen its a 4mm socket, but I don't know about 3rd's. Probably a 4mm though if thats what you're thinking =]

It's not hard to figure out which way, just but your hand on the light and feel it move. I've spent many a night adjusting my headlights.. It was an ongoing proccess on my road trip to CA =]

Back