Hid brights | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Hid brights

So lets say you put a hid conversion kit in your car, your low beam light is the same bulb as your high beam. What would happen if you have a hid kit installed and turned your high beams on???

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

if your kit is like mine (halo), when you turn on your high beams, the head lights go off. my kit has no high beams, or running lights (bummer).

if your kit is like mine (halo), when you turn on your high beams, the head lights go off. my kit has no high beams, or running lights (bummer).

What he said. To "reset", I have to power the lights off then on again. Not really a good thing to mess with if you're on a dark, twisty road somewhere. A definitely drawback to these HID kits. I've trained myself to stay away from the high beams.

There are OEM-style HID's that have a 'eye-lid' of sorts in the housing. Regular lights, the lid is down. When you want 'high beams', instead of adding more current to a new filament, doubling (or close to it) the output of the bulb (like a Halogen would do)...it is just a matter of opening up the eye lid a bit..

Ryan

There are OEM-style HID's that have a 'eye-lid' of sorts in the housing. Regular lights, the lid is down. When you want 'high beams', instead of adding more current to a new filament, doubling (or close to it) the output of the bulb (like a Halogen would do)...it is just a matter of opening up the eye lid a bit..

Ryan

called bi-xenon (but really are not overly effective in a 9007 style base, works best with a projector housing) or do a search on how to correctly wire your low beam only HID's so they wont go off on the high beam mode or flash to pass. Simple matter of putting diodes in relay circuit so they are always on.

Make the following connections on a relay and this will have your low beams stay on when you turn on your high beams;

* (30) - To the battery using an in-line fuse
* (85) - To a good ground
* (86) - Tap in to the High Beam wire
* (87) - Tap in to Low beam wire
* (87A) - Not used

relay.jpg

Make the following connections on a relay and this will have your low beams stay on when you turn on your high beams;

* (30) - To the battery using an in-line fuse
* (85) - To a good ground
* (86) - Tap in to the High Beam wire
* (87) - Tap in to Low beam wire
* (87A) - Not used

relay.jpg

Good stuff Gary! Long time no see. Coaldale now, huh? I can't even remember where that is.

I think I'll try this. Forgive me for my ignorance, but where's the best place to get such a relay?

^^Very informative^^& necessary.

Relays can be had at NAPA, ect. 30 or 40 amp relay.

Or you can do it like this

There is no delay between high and low, the ballasts get consistant power no matter what position the hi/lo stalk is in.

Hey Brad, I'm still around a bit but not too much. I find the cheapest place to get them is Princess Auto and they come with a pigtail.

Back