HID Foglight retrofit? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

HID Foglight retrofit?

Mike127

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012 Explorer LTD 4WD
Has anyone done this yet or know what would be required?

I'm debating between throwing in some Piaa yellow bulbs (yes i know Nokya are cheaper) or going HID.. Thoughts?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

don't believe anyone has done it on their current gen ex. i personally never wanted to mess around with HID foglights, i've seen and heard horror stories of the housing burning/melting. i would say go with some PIAAs. i'm also considering yellow fogs.

I wouldnt use hids for the fog lights, since they are "open lamp" and not the projector type.
I have a base model, so no fogs here, but once I get them, im getting yellow bulbs.

I do not have a '11 explorer, so someone will have to confirm this, but if the foglights are similar to the ones that ford has used in a bunch of different cars (most notably the Fusion, see: Link) then HIDs in those were actually preform admirably, the Fusion Fogs are some of the best halogen projectors to use with HIDs in terms of light output from them and limited glare, see: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WgfoCJzCuV8

If however they are anything else, I would highly suggest NOT putting a PnP kit in them as they will only look and preform terribly. but all is not lost, if you still want HIDs in your fogs, pick up some small fog projectors see: linky That is what I have done in my 07 sport trac, although I used a limited run projector of theirs which may or may not come back.

Hope that helps!

Thanks for all the advice, I'm just going to stick to the Piaa's b/c I don't have too much time to fiddle around with new projectors. I'll just go HID on my headlights I guess.

Hella is a major player in auto lighting. They are not fleabay products. Unfortunetly quality costs!

Hella is a major player in auto lighting. They are not fleabay products. Unfortunetly quality costs!

I would agree, but you can get similar if not the same light output from a pair of OEM Ford Fusion fog lights with HIDs. Granted if you have the 700$ to spare on a pair of fog lights, all the more power to ya. But I would at least first weigh my options, and fusion fogs are a viable alternative.

I may also have a spare pair that I was trying to use for a fog retro myself, but ending up not using. It has some silicone on it but thats about it if your interested let me know. I can assure you of one thing, the price wouldn't be NEAR 700 :p:

Back