Foglight Bulb Options | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Foglight Bulb Options

Just wondering what happened to the DV 5000k fogs that you liked so much last summer? Did you have issues with them?

From your pics, they looked like they gave a good wide pattern. Wanting to replace my LED's that I'm not to happy with.

Pro's and cons of the DV's. Thanks, tinner

No issues, i just figured i'd go HID when the opportunity came up. I needed brighter thats all.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

No issues, i just figured i'd go HID when the opportunity came up. I needed brighter thats all.

Would you rate the Dv's as being brighter than the Crees you compared to in your pics-- hard to tell in the pics. Are they worth the money?

Would you rate the Dv's as being brighter than the Crees you compared to in your pics-- hard to tell in the pics. Are they worth the money?

Crees are not recommended. I believe the DV are worth it, brighter and cleaner looking.

Thanks Roaming

I am considering the Diamond Vision bulbs for both the headlights and foglights as I do not want to hassle with the DRL and HIDs. Would this be a considerable upgrade over stock? Also, what should I be paying for a set of 2?

Thanks.

I am considering the Diamond Vision bulbs for both the headlights and foglights as I do not want to hassle with the DRL and HIDs. Would this be a considerable upgrade over stock? Also, what should I be paying for a set of 2?

Thanks.

I wouldn't recommend the Diamond Vision bulbs, they turn into a bluish output after a few hours of usage unless that is the effect you seek.

Thanks.

The cheapest I think I've seen is somewhere around $50. You could also try HIR1 bulbs for the headlights - they're about the same price, have a higher output and a longer lifespan but they're not quite as 'white' as the DVs.

Does anyone have any DV bulbs that they are looking to sell - not easy to access in Canada? Also, is there a specific part number for the Cree foglight bulbs that you gents are using that definitely fit our application? Finally, are wiring mods needed for the fogs to run LED fog light bulbs?

Thanks for your assistance,

Darren

Does anyone have any DV bulbs that they are looking to sell - not easy to access in Canada? Also, is there a specific part number for the Cree foglight bulbs that you gents are using that definitely fit our application? Finally, are wiring mods needed for the fogs to run LED fog light bulbs?

Thanks for your assistance,

Darren
One thing to keep in mind with any LED light is that they do not produce much heat and therefore will not melt any ice that builds up on them.

Peter

Update#1

Got the bulbs today, and compared them to the Philips Diamond Vision 5000k that i have on a physical level. Same housing (obviously), the Diamond V is slimmer than the Crees however not by a whole much, the weight is alot more on the Crees.

What i didnt like about the Crees was the packaging, definitely not very secure as i barely stopped one from falling out of the packaging.

In terms of fit they were a close fit but did fit anyway. You just have to be careful getting it in the bulb opening and a little extra forceful on the twist/screw.

On a visual during the day i can definitely see a color difference. Hopefully in the night there will be more proof on the projectability. I left one Diamond V in and installed a Cree 6000 for comparison. Will post pics this evening.

Where did you mount the load resistor for the Crees given the heat it creates? Would this be an issue for a Canadian winter? Thanks guys - what a helpful community we have here!

Where did you mount the load resistor for the Crees given the heat it creates? Would this be an issue for a Canadian winter? Thanks guys - what a helpful community we have here!

Didn't mount a resistor. FWIW I am running HID's and its hot but nothing too worrying.

So just to be clear, you installed your Cree fog light units that you listed just like your standard halogen bulb, with no load resistors? Are there any flickering issues?

Thanks for the help.

Darren

So just to be clear, you installed your Cree fog light units that you listed just like your standard halogen bulb, with no load resistors? Are there any flickering issues?

Thanks for the help.

Darren

Yep, no load resistors. There weren't any flickering for the 1 week that I had them on (5 days actually) I ddnt like the light output and went back to the DV. Eventually wanted more - went to HID from TRS and now perfectly happy.

read whole thread still confused..

im looking to upgrade my stock fogs. in my last truck i ran silvania silverstars and they did not last long at all and were so hot they burned the fog light case inside..
im a LED fan and was looking into buying some leds. i was here reading this hopefully to find out which was the best led fog lamps... looks like none??
i dont want the hassle of installing hid fogs.
If im looking to just get some brighter white fogs than stock what would be my best option??
thanks Rich :D

im looking to upgrade my stock fogs. in my last truck i ran silvania silverstars and they did not last long at all and were so hot they burned the fog light case inside..
im a LED fan and was looking into buying some leds. i was here reading this hopefully to find out which was the best led fog lamps... looks like none??
If im looking to just get some brighter white fogs than stock what would be my best option??
I haven't upgraded or intend to upgrade the fogs since I haven't a requirement to use them more that once or twice in the 3 years I've had the Ex. One thing to keep in mind with LED's is that they don't produce enough heat to keep the lens clear in conditions where ice/snow build up on them. Exact opposite of the Silverstars.
Good luck.

Peter

I haven't upgraded or intend to upgrade the fogs since I haven't a requirement to use them more that once or twice in the 3 years I've had the Ex. One thing to keep in mind with LED's is that they don't produce enough heat to keep the lens clear in conditions where ice/snow build up on them. Exact opposite of the Silverstars.
Good luck.

Peter

thank you Peterk9, think im going to do the HID conversions for both on my Expy.
just waiting to hear what brand is the best.

I have 80W CREE fog LEDs that are direct bulb replacements. I got them on ebay for about $40/pair. I know some others here don't like the brightness or have quality issues, but I've had them for 7+ months and they work well, about same light output as stock (around 1000 lumens) and 6000k color. I also have 6000k HID headlights and they match nicely.

seeing these on ebay. look like a brigher alternative than a standard cree.

_3_zps7ef9ae7b.jpg

I have 80W CREE fog LEDs that are direct bulb replacements. I got them on ebay for about $40/pair. I know some others here don't like the brightness or have quality issues, but I've had them for 7+ months and they work well, about same light output as stock (around 1000 lumens) and 6000k color. I also have 6000k HID headlights and they match nicely.

Do you have pics that you could share? Also, could you share a link to the ebay bulb style that you purchased? I have heard of some size issues. What are the dimensions of your bulb?

Thanks.

Darren

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Do you have pics that you could share? Also, could you share a link to the ebay bulb style that you purchased? I have heard of some size issues. What are the dimensions of your bulb?

Thanks.

Darren

This is what I got on ebay. I don't have the dimensions, but I didn't have any issues with the bulb size/installation. I'll try to get some pics.

Btw I believe stock halogen is around 1100-1200 lumens. This is about 900. So for those looking for more light vs stock, I'd recommend HIDs. But LEDs have a distinct "glow" so that's why I like these..

Back