HID headlight bulb remove/replace? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

HID headlight bulb remove/replace?

MisterWizard

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Ford Exploer Limited
2013 Explorer Limited w/ HID Headlights:
I've been experiencing an occasional problem with my right headlight. It will either not come on or go out while driving, and when I cycle the headlights off/on, it comes back on. I did notice it flickering a bit once when I did this, but for the most part it comes on and stays on.

So, realizing it could be either a bulb or a ballast, I decided to take the route of less resistance (and effort/$$$) and change the bulb. If that fixes it, fine. If not I realize full well I need to remove the bumper cover to get to the headlight and replace the expensive ballast. But for now I'm going with the bulb and seeing if I get lucky.
One small problem: I cannot get the d**m bulb out! I have the shop manual, and the instructions are painfully simple;
'remove the rubber cover at the back of the headlamp, turn the bulb 1/8 turn counterclockwise and remove"
It won't budge, clockwise, counterclockwise, no luck. It simply refuses to turn.
Is there some sort of lock or catch that I'm not seeing and that the shop manual has failed to mention? (not uncommon for a lot of shop manuals)
Anyone else experience this, anyone able to shed some light (yes, pun intended) on how to get the bulb out without destroying everything?
Thanks in advance.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Most hid bulbs are held in place inside the housing by a small metal clip style retainer that has to be removed before the bulb will come out.

151810_IMG_0031.jpg

Are you able to swap it with the other headlight to check it out? According to the manual, HID replacements should be done by the dealer and are not owner serviceable. At least that what the 'book' states.

Peter

Are you able to swap it with the other headlight to check it out? According to the manual, HID replacements should be done by the dealer and are not owner serviceable. At least that what the 'book' states.

Peter
Yeah, but I think the "book" takes into consideration that there is more to the headlight than just a bulb and yeah the ballast replacement gets a lot more involved.
We'll take another look in the housing and see if anything else is holding the little devil in.

thanks to all for the suggestions and advice

Yeah, but I think the "book" takes into consideration that there is more to the headlight than just a bulb and yeah the ballast replacement gets a lot more involved.
We'll take another look in the housing and see if anything else is holding the little devil in.

thanks to all for the suggestions and advice
UPDATE:
Nope, looked with a call phone camera and one of those little borescope cameras and can see no clip holding the bulb into the headlight. Also tried to take the left side bulb out and it was stuck solid in place as well.
Do these things generate so much heat that they might have welded themselves into the sockets?
I am at a loss and for damn sure don't want to pay dealership parts and labor costs to fix one d**n headlight.
42 years of driving and i've never had this much trouble just replacing a simple headlight. :mad:

UPDATE:
Nope, looked with a call phone camera and one of those little borescope cameras and can see no clip holding the bulb into the headlight. Also tried to take the left side bulb out and it was stuck solid in place as well.
Do these things generate so much heat that they might have welded themselves into the sockets?
I am at a loss and for damn sure don't want to pay dealership parts and labor costs to fix one d**n headlight.
42 years of driving and i've never had this much trouble just replacing a simple headlight. :mad:
. Looks to be a pita, but doable.

. Looks to be a pita, but doable.

Yes, just found this also on YouTube (where would we be without Youtube?) That answers the question of what holds the bulb in.
Actually I have a helper, so pulling the bumper cover off won't be a big deal. Admittedly a bit more work than I was expecting for just changing a headlight, but at least I know it can be done without taking out a second mortgage to pay a dealer to do it.
Thanks again for everyone's suggestions and help!

Yeah, I miss the days when you'd pull 2 pins and remove the whole headlight and replace every bulb and reinstall in 5 minutes or less!

Got a HID headlight out anyone replaced one?

Got a HID headlight out anyone replaced one?
Welcome to the Forum Larry. :wave:
Using the handy 'Search' feature (upper right) I found a couple of threads on the issue and merged yours with this one. Good luck.

Peter

Back