HID in the fog lights...suggestions? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

HID in the fog lights...suggestions?

As some may know, I've retrofitted BMW projectors into clear diamond cut housings. The reason I did this is because I dont want to blind other drivers. I am wanting to put hid into my fogs. I dont think I would need to use projectors on them since the lights are mounted so low. What do other users think? I can get bosch projectors for 45$ a pair; however, I really dont have time these days to retrofit them into stock explorer housings. Does anyone have experience with HID in fogs, and do they blind anyone? Thanks

Fog light housings are really not suited for the extra lumens that the HID bulbs put out. I have tried it on PIAA projectors and Catz fogs. The HID just seems to cause a blob of glaring light or really bright spots & shadows in the beam pattern. The only lights that I have found that do well are the Hella Micro DE fogs. They make a HID light but I converted a regular halogen to HID and the results were OK. The beam pattern is good and there is no glare.

thanks for the reply Kemp. It looks like it would be the best route to just retrofit the projectors in. Another thing I hate about HID is halogen housings always cause the HID light to just go everywhere. 50$ for the bosch projectors...hell why not. Im getting the HID kit for 100$ so $150 to convert my fogs into tru HID projection isnt bad ?

I bought a set of projector fog lights with angel eyes from ebay for around $100 shipped and stuck a set of H3 8,000K HIDs in them to match the projector headlights I have, and I can pretty much choose which set of lights I want to use as headlights. But neither set blinds anyone on the road. I have NEVER been flashed by oncoming traffic since installing the projectors and HIDs together. Al the light stays nice and low on the road where you want it and not scattered all over the place and in everyone's eyes

I'd agree that HID bulbs + halogen housings = scattered beam & glare. Projectors or HID housings would be the way to do it, or just get HID fogs like the Hella Micro DE's mentioned.

Also, just because other drivers don't flash their lights at you doesn't mean you aren't blinding them. You can also be blinding drivers of cars, while other SUVs and trucks are higher up from the glare. Using HID "fogs" in rainy weather also bounces the glare off the wet road more than halogen, too.

Back