• Register Today It's free!

High Mileage Oil Suggestions

motc777

Reaction score
City, State
Longview, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Mountaineer
I rolled 165K miles on my 2004 Mounty recently. I am just curious, should I start considering a high mileage oil instead of conventional or fully synthetic? I read a thread on here about it, but it was more just back and forth. Appreciate opinions and specifically, examples of those who do have high miles and what you use. Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If what you are using has worked for 165k miles...why would you change it?

If what you are using has worked for 165k miles...why would you change it?

For a number of years I used fully synthetic, but that was about 3 years ago. Then I switched to a synthetic blend from Castrol.

I guess I haven't been as consistent on oil types.

We run synthetic on our vehicles.. All 3 have well over 200k miles.. (well, one was rebuilt at 355k miles due to a head issue and the raw #of miles, but it ran synthetic right up to the rebuild time...)

I see no reason to change to something else as it works... It is time for another UOA (used oil analysis) to see if my oil change interval is still ok (7k-9k miles).

~Mark

If you're doing oil changes at 10k miles then a full synthetic benefits you. I've been using castrol synthetic blend (high mileage) on my jeep and ford vehicles and do the change at 4-5k miles.
I only use full synthetic oil Mobil 1 0w20 for my toyota camry hybrid because that was recommended by toyota and change at 5k miles.
As what been said, if the current oil has no issues why change it.

It is time for another UOA (used oil analysis) to see if my oil change interval is still ok (7k-9k miles).

~Mark

How do you do that?

IMO, high mileage oil is only good for older engines, not high mileage engines. Older engines had more of a tendency to leak via stem seals etc... Thicker oils would help this.

I'd say in today's engines, a synthetic or synthetic blend (ie Castrol) is fine. Even if the oil can go 7k, it's black by 5k. As it's the life of the engine, I change mine every 5k using Mobil 5w20. I also change my Wix filter at the same time. Though it's rated for 14k miles before entering by-pass. I could get two oil changes out of each filter.

How do you do that?

You get a free kit from these people, capture some oil in the kit as you change the oil, send them the oil, pay $25 and viola.. lots of info about your oil including if you can run the oil longer or if you need to change your oil more often.

~Mark

For a number of years I used fully synthetic, but that was about 3 years ago. Then I switched to a synthetic blend from Castrol.

I guess I haven't been as consistent on oil types.

If you like a blend, the Motorcraft 05W/20 is excellent juice.

What ever oil you use, pair it with a Motorcraft filter. Imo Motorcraft makes one of the best filters.

I use regular Castrol GTX 5W-30 every 3 months / 3000 miles but instead of doing it when I hit one or the other I wait for both to be met.

k2-_6271aa43-4a1a-4372-84a7-fa63fe44c530.v1.jpg-870d1b3542defecae254d2712bc896158ca01245-optim-450x450.jpg

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Castrol-GTX-5W-30-Motor-Oil-5qt/17200822

k2-_22d5994f-80dd-4662-b0a7-02373165b73f.v2.jpg-fa380303d6a383bf429670ff40094833c9110b41-optim-450x450.jpg

http://www.walmart.com/ip/MotorCraft-Oil-Filter-FL820S/16817361

Costs me $20 an oil change at current prices.

I use 5w30 Valvoline dinosaur oil, with OEM Motorcraft oil filter. Over 182,000 miles on her now. Not sure what all the previous owners ran for oil. I change every 3,000-4,000. Mostly highway driving. It doesn't burn or leak any at all. I owned it for over a year, and put about 15,000 on it so far.

I switched to Valvoline Max Life high mileage blend about 6 months ago. I had a very slight leak which got a little worse with the new oil. Previously, I had just used the shell 5/20 from jiffy lube.

As I understand, the blend oil molecules are a little smaller, so when you combine that with the cleaning of the sludge around seals/gaskets/etc, you can get oil leaks you didn't have, or notice a larger leak.

I still have a few 5qt bottles of the Valvoline, but I may switch back to regular conventional oil when I run out. I drive a lot of highway, about 3500 miles a month, so I'm constantly checking the oil.

I have 186k on the original engine, so the regular oil I used for the previous 10 years seems to have worked just fine.

Mobil 1 high mileage oil contains a chemical that swells up all the oil seals. So if you have a small leak, the high mileage oil has a chance at reducing it. I have started using it in my explorer because it is 13 years old and I don't want to deal with oil leaks soon.

My last oil change was Pennzoil Platinum Pure Plus High Mileage and I am satisfied so far. They even recommended it at my Ford dealer.

my friend was really happy when I recommended to him Castrol High Mileage Synthetic Blend on his 2002 Honda Odessy, it developed a rear main seal leak that caused oil spots on his garage. couple months later after the oil change, the leak is gone.
i used Castrol HM Synthetic Blend on most of my cars and I'm satisfied with it. My Camry uses Mobil 1 Full Synthetic (0w20) as an exception.

Back