High Mileage SOHC's Explorers | Page 18 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

High Mileage SOHC's Explorers

MY 1998 FORD EXPLOR conked out at 300,000 miles; but that was with me really using it a lot on wkd drivings in desert heat and not staying on top of standard maintance, especially in the water-coolant area. So...when it locked up; after countless overheating moments...i was forced to pop in a used engine at 100,000 miles...had recent problems with that, but it's all solid now.

I've learned my lesson in beating vehicles down to the ground and will correctly get another 200-300,000 miles out of this used engine.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

MY 1998 FORD EXPLOR conked out at 300,000 miles; but that was with me really using it a lot on wkd drivings in desert heat and not staying on top of standard maintance, especially in the water-coolant area. So...when it locked up; after countless overheating moments...i was forced to pop in a used engine at 100,000 miles...had recent problems with that, but it's all solid now.

I've learned my lesson in beating vehicles down to the ground and will correctly get another 200-300,000 miles out of this used engine.

300,000 is definitely something to be proud of, I'm glad you gave your Explorer a new engine to keep it driving along. I like my '05 so much, I'd definitely pop a new one in mine if it went out today. Just changed the oil on mine at 171,500 miles. It doesn't burn any from what I can tell. I run 5w30 like the engine calls for. Valvoline conventional. I hope mine can reach 300,000 without major engine or transmission service or replacement.

1998 EXP XLT 4.0 SOHC. 107,878 miles. Bought it 10 years ago with 50,576.
Been to Guatemalan border town town 3 times = 152 miles each trip. Been to Mexican Border 2 times = 188 miles each trip. All other runs outside Belize City have been less than 90 miles.

Changed outer tie rods 3 times, Ball joints once. Now faced with Timing chain guide repairs. Changed Oil pan cover last week and found plastic in oil.

Other than that no serious problems.

Just turned 186,000 on my '98 XLT, my 2000 XLT has 153,120. I bought the 2000 in January and it's turning out to be the best $700 I've ever spent.

i know this is a little old. haha but my 2000 explorer sport SOHC has 231k. :)

96 loaded xlt with 170,177:D as of this post. Bought it in Nov/14 for 1000, needed some tlc and some bugs worked out. Never hacked or molested by owner. Best investment so far!!

P.S. This site rocks.:salute: It has helped me so much. Thanks to all!!

I bought a 99 SOHC 4x2 back in Jul14 and she has just under 180k. No love was given to this truck at all. I just did the rear main seal, transmission service, front shocks, rear diff service, rear rotors and pads. In the next few weeks/months ill be doing the sway bar end links, top/bottom ball joints, front rotors/pads, plugs/wires.

High mileage 98

I have a 98 XLT with 214,000. Runs great. I have replaced the water pump and the alternator (after a dummy hooked up the cables wrong and tried to start his car) but that's all.

112,000 on my 03 sport. Pulles strong and have never had a problem............. Eaton m90 pending installation :)

I have a 2000 Limited with 250K plus miles on it and still going strong.

248,500.....and still counting. Looking to hit the 250 mark this year. Been running from Dallas to Houston and back a few times lately, and still nockin down 21mpg , doing high speeds.... In fact, I passed a small car that wouldnt move over for the passing lane doing 105mph , with ease....redline has improved to 6+ grand, before it shifts. No rebuild yet. 1st eng, 1st trans. Guess it got broke in right, from the start.

350k now here is a pic taken 6months ago
photo.php

1999 SOHC 4x4 with 257,681 and for the first time was stranded, timing chain gave out right down the street from my house. Time to start off with a brand new motor.

Update for high mileage

i got my 1999 in 1999. it now has 261,000 miles. single owner, obviously. for the first 6 years it was used a lot on dirt, gravel, snow, ice, mud. has been stuck in the animas river, and gently toppled into a willow field from a mountain road. has been rear ended three times, none severe. it has survived all of this and barely has a scratch. still go offroading, sort-of, but mostly its a commuter. still gets 21-23 mpg hwy, 15-17 mpg city. have only used premium gasoline twice. oil has been changed every 3000 miles, religiously.

have replaced ball joints, radiator, 2 batteries, 3 sets of tires, idle air control valve, gasket job, spark plugs twice, normal brake maintenance. had all the dash bulbs replaced. had to remove and repair the printed circuit boards for both the radio and the overhead temperature/compass console. tail gate latch was fixed, door rattle was fixed years ago.

it now needs a tensioner (probably both front and rear), maybe harmonic balancer, and rear main oil seal. oil is being consumed @ 2 qts per 6000 miles and is getting worse. but it does not smoke at all, and there are no oil puddles. coolant is also leaking. sometimes the balancer (?) vibrates, and the tensioner (?) rattles. when it is running good, which is most of the time, it is remarkably smooth.

i figure less than $600.00 in parts, but more than $2500.00 in labor. a startling ratio, for sure.

need to decide whether to 1) fix what i have, 2) get a rebuilt engine, 3) get a new car.

what are your opinions ?

My Explorer is now @ 282K miles. Probably needs some transmission service, now getting the dreaded flashing OD light. Will try to get by with trans filter change and flush, then maybe VB kit. Codes indicate TCC lock issue, and 2nd gear slippage. Both these issues sometimes caused by VB or solenoid.

Aside from the OD light, the car is still performing well. Just completed a cross country trek (4000 miles) with 1500 pounds of junk in the back.

My goal is 350K miles before having to do anything super major. I never did replace the tensioner or harmonic balancer. And it is not consuming oil like I previously (erroneously) reported.

17 years old next month, 282K miles. I drove every one of them. Cannot complain much about my Explorer, it has been an incredible value.

My Explorer is now @ 282K miles. Probably needs some transmission service, now getting the dreaded flashing OD light. Will try to get by with trans filter change and flush, then maybe VB kit. Codes indicate TCC lock issue, and 2nd gear slippage. Both these issues sometimes caused by VB or solenoid.

Mine started that at 140k. TC was shot. Good luck.

Our last 99 Sport 4.0 SOHC had 275K on it when we sold it a couple years ago. We bought the Sport new in late 99 & we were very picky about doing the oil changes every 3K mi.

104k plus on my 2001 with the dreaded timing chain guide rattle, I will run it to the ground before I have it repaired. Indy wants over 2k to fix,

I'm at 240,000 miles now, still a rocket ship!

2001 XLT 4x4 coming up on 145K, I'm the 2nd owner since 135K. Had a flawless documented history of maintenance, adult driven, and had all recalls done early on from new. Interestingly the intake manifold and gaskets was replaced by Ford at 10K miles in its first year. One of the first things I did was the timing tensioners which have not been a problem. It also has a rebuilt and upgraded 5r55e that was done in 2012 when the original began to fail. Most of the other work I've done besides fluids was suspension and brakes.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back