high pitch humming turned into grinding noise | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

high pitch humming turned into grinding noise

Rocinante

Reaction score
Hi all. For the last month or so, my wifes 2002 2WD XLT Explorer has has a high pitch humming (not a squeal) coming from the back of the car. It never changed in pitch, and always stopped when the brakes were pressed, even a little. So I changed the brake pads, which needed to be changed anyways, but that did not fix it.

It was not getting worse very quickly, so I figured I had some more time to find out what was wrong. But I just got a call that the noise is gone, and now there is a grinding type noise.

Is this a bearing problem in the back-end somewhere. How can I test where exactly it comes from? I can do some type of work on cars, and have lots of tools, and am hoping this is something I can tackle.

Thanks for all your help. This is a great forum, and I have found good info so far.

Thanks. Is there a way to verify this is the cause, and do you know of a place that gives good instructions on how to do this work? I am fairly handy and have done some work on cars, but never this type of work.

Im not sure how to verify it. It is the only thing that is related to a hum that i can think of tho. And i know this is a fairly common problem with 02's
(it happened to my moms 02 but it was under warranty)

There is a kit that you buy to fix this that comes with the parts i think?
Maybe theres a manual in it?
Im not too sure.

Back