High pressure line on power steering pump leaking... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

High pressure line on power steering pump leaking...

rcboyd

Reaction score
City, State
Fort Myers, Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 ford explorer sport
Took the truck to get oil changed and the guy pointed out that the line was leaking. I looked at it and it seems very minor. He wanted $450 to replace the line. Can buy the line for $58.00 and I believe I can do it my self. The problem he said I would have is bleeding the line. just looking for a little help. Is this as difficult as he said.
Thank's
RC:navajo:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Add power steering fluid if the level is low. Check the owner's or service manual for the type of fluid before adding anything.

Find the bleed valve and apply some penetrating oil. Push a length of clear vinyl tubing on the end of the bleed valve. Tubing length is better too long than too short. Raising the wheels above the ground with a jack and jack stands can make turning the steering wheel easier.

Run the tubing into a dedicated catch container to bleed the system of both air and old fluid. Be careful not to run the system out of fluid! Start the engine. Crack open the bleed valve slightly. Turn the steering wheel several times lock to lock. Close the bleed valve. Add fluid. Repeat until the fluid runs air free.

If the fluid is known to be new and free from crud, then running the return line back into the fluid reservoir is an option that does away with the danger of running the system dry. Fasten the end of the tubing to the reservoir with a rubber band or bailing wire. Start the engine. Crack open the bleed valve slightly. Turn the steering wheel several times lock to lock. Top off the power steering fluid once the air is no longer in there. Turn the steering wheel a few more times and check the fluid level once more before driving.

At least in theory it should be about this easy!

Can anybody post instructions / difficulty with replacing the Power Steering Pressure Hose on 4.6L models. Mine is slowly leaking fluid and want to know if I can tackle this job. Factory part# is AL2Z3A719B and runs about $120-130 from online suppliers.

Can anybody post instructions / difficulty with replacing the Power Steering Pressure Hose on 4.6L models. Mine is slowly leaking fluid and want to know if I can tackle this job. Factory part# is AL2Z3A719B and runs about $120-130 from online suppliers.

This is for a different truck but it seems to me if you can reach both ends of the hose with a wrench you can certainly do it yourself. I wish I tried this when my wife's hose started leaking, would've saved me $800 bucks.

Correction. It is my return power steering line that is leaking. Not the pressure one. It is leaking from the passenger side frame rail near the very front of the car where it wraps around. Odd design as Im not sure why it goes all the way over there. Part price is about the same as the pressure side it is part # AL2Z3D746A.

Has anybody done this job?

Back