Highest Mileage 4.0, V-6, Explorer | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Highest Mileage 4.0, V-6, Explorer

02 V6 250ish last time I used it. It got "totaled" but is still in use as a yard truck, got it new off the showroom floor.

Thats awesome! That sucker won't die!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have about 225 on my 02 V6 daily driver. Don't know for sure because I installed a Mounty Cluster.

82k blew out the timing chains and cassettes at 79k. I do alot of very hard offroading and put a lot of stress on this motor. I had it rebuilt and i couldn't be happier runs like the first day I bought it.

I have 75k on my 05. I recently put up an ad on craigslist to sell some explorer parts. A guy came buy and bought some corners with his 04 v6. He was at 245k very impressive. He always just kept up on the maintenance .

Bought a 97 over 10 years ago, 4.0L OHV with 214k on it. I'm now approaching 329k. At 328k, almost on the dot, had to do a timing cover gasket. In my driveway, in December. I beat it like a durability tester would. Rwd, truly the best option if you know how to drive. it's gone over 110 in one emergency trip. Will routinely hit and hold 85, from the top of the gas tank to empty. Oil changes used to be 3k. I'm up to over 20k between now, and it just won't die. Frame is still solid, until that goes, I won't even think of a different vehicle.

Bought a 97 over 10 years ago, 4.0L OHV with 214k on it. I'm now approaching 329k. At 328k, almost on the dot, had to do a timing cover gasket. In my driveway, in December. I beat it like a durability tester would. Rwd, truly the best option if you know how to drive. it's gone over 110 in one emergency trip. Will routinely hit and hold 85, from the top of the gas tank to empty. Oil changes used to be 3k. I'm up to over 20k between now, and it just won't die. Frame is still solid, until that goes, I won't even think of a different vehicle.
The OHV is a very different animal than this thread is talking about. RWD is only the best option if you have zero use for a front drive.

The OHV is a very different animal than this thread is talking about. RWD is only the best option if you have zero use for a front drive.
Being that the subject matter was 4.0 v6, and nobody specified sohc or ohv, I thought it appropriate. Front drive is only useful if you want to pay thousands for any little thing that goes wrong, whereas, I fixed an inline 4 rwd with a half a tic tac one day.

Being that the subject matter was 4.0 v6, and nobody specified sohc or ohv, I thought it appropriate. Front drive is only useful if you want to pay thousands for any little thing that goes wrong, whereas, I fixed an inline 4 rwd with a half a tic tac one day.
It’s in the forum for 2002-2005, so no OHVs available.

Having Mcguyver like mechanical abilities and it costing “thousands” to fix a very simple mechanical system don’t really go hand in hand.

It’s in the forum for 2002-2005, so no OHVs available.

Having Mcguyver like mechanical abilities and it costing “thousands” to fix a very simple mechanical system don’t really go hand in hand.
Missed the 02 to 05, I was simply looking for a higher mileage explorer than mine. They've done away with all the best drivetrains, engines, and vehicles. They've been replaced by computers that won't last nearly as long. Have a pleasant evening sir.

The highest on the forum is over 600k.

I have a 1998 XLT AWD with over 280,000 miles. Replaced both front CVC axles at around 175,000 miles and have changed tires, oil and transmission fluid regularly. Also a few batteries. Now has air leaking into intake manifold and need to replace rubber O rings below intake manifold. I have O ring kit that includes two timing chain tensioners to replace while intake manifold is removed. My timing chain also makes a slight rattling noise when first starting engine, so hoping that the tensioners will help quiet the rattle. This has been a Great truck!

2002 explorer sport 4.0 sohc auto 2wd . 268,500. All original. Unless previous owner dealt with the chains.(hopefully) ..Bought it for my son's first car then turned back in to my daily 5 years ago. Replaced all control arms an ball joints wheel bearings water pump alternator. Many many many oil changes. Knock on wood I love my 2 door sport.When the wheels fall off we gonna put some more back on him.

I'm at 362K on my 2002 4.0. I bought it new. I did timing chains at 254K, and the transmission was rebuilt way back at 140K.

It needs a set of tires. Every time I buy a set, I think it will be the last, but this thing keeps outliving them..

Had a 91 Explorer (manual) with 237,000 over 23 years. Only engine work done was valve cover gaskets (and regular fluids, belt, and plugs). Changed oil every 6 months, plugs every 10k. Replaced trans at 175,000. Loved that truck. Wish I'd never parted with it. Body and interior was perfect. Since then had an 07 Exp and now a 13 Exp.

2008 4.0 XLT
205,548 miles
Rebuilt trans at 135k
Oil changes every 3-5,000 miles
Had the crank pulley replaced at 125,000 and that created a very slow, never added any oil yet, oil leak
Can't recall when I had the hubs replaced
It a michigan vehicle
I spray the under side after every storm or as needed as well as keeping drain passages clear. No rust on the exterior, coming out or through any body panels or door jams
The frame has surface rust but you won't drive a screwdriver through anything
Solid and still quiet with very few rattles inside
I'm selling a pos silverado with 87500
Don't trust it

2005 xlt 4.0, 194,000 with oil changes when the it tells me to. Remanufactured trans. at 172,000ish due to it locking out OD when it warmed up. I could lock out OD and drive all day shifting perfectly. My daughter drives it to work 4 days a week, just replaced original plug wires today along with egr valve and new Autolite plugs.

Back