hissing noise in vacuum reservoir | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

hissing noise in vacuum reservoir

I picked up the part posted here and installed it (super easy) and it fixed the hissing. I can now hear my magnaflow!

Thanks for all the help guys

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Mine is still hissing. I've replaced the check valve and it didn't fix the noise. The tank seems to be fine, no cracks. Not sure what else to try.

Steve, is the "T" connector that goes to the vacuum tank nice and snug? How about the vacuum lines going from the tank and through the firewall? Check to make sure everything is tight.

Hi,
does anyone of you know of an online source for the valve, preferably one, that ships to an APO Box?

I checked all my connections and they are solid. Not sure what to do now other than taking it to the dealer and paying out the rear for something that's probably an easy fix but I'm just not seeing it. Autobahn, check http://www.fordparts.com Part # YG-360 A/C Control Module; Check Valve

Thanks stevewinston,
been disapointed with Ford, they keep telling me in every advertisement how much they support the Forces, but don´t even ship a light bulb to an APO Box. Ford Customer Support says to buy from the local Ford dealer. The german dealer sure tries to help over here and knows his business, but has to order the part, which takes weeks and costs a fortune. I just paid 46 Euros (65$) for one(!) foglight bulb over here.
Appreciate any help with the online order of the Valve!

i had the same problem, dealer replaced the HVAC controller (not official name, i will have to look at the paperwork to get the name) but i believe it was a "vacuum manifold" no more noise.

I read this thread after been annoyed for months by this Hissing noise at 2000rpm when in Drive only. I stripped the Vacuum check valve sucked and blew it on both directions and it started to work again. Replaced it and we are good. No more hissing. You guys rock. I guess the valve seat had got stuck.

Did you check the vacuum hoses ? A few years ago my upstairs bathroom sink was leaking water after running for a few minutes. I could not find a leak anywhere, but it only happened when the hot water was on. I was able to determine that the brass diverter was weeping hot water after a few minutes. It was a strange thing, but when you think about leaks, maybe the temp. change is causing the problem ?

I checked all my connections and they are solid. Not sure what to do now other than taking it to the dealer and paying out the rear for something that's probably an easy fix but I'm just not seeing it. Autobahn, check http://www.fordparts.com Part # YG-360 A/C Control Module; Check Valve

This is pretty frustrating. I did some research on this "hissing" noise and the culprits always seem to be that check valve or the vacuum tank behind the glove box. To have it not be either one of those has me stumped at this point. The hose going from the check valve goes to the front of the engine but it's very hard to see where that is because it's so tight in there. Did you ever try to follow that hose and see where else it connects to?

I picked up the part posted here and installed it (super easy) and it fixed the hissing. I can now hear my magnaflow!

Thanks for all the help guys

Well I guess I jumped the gun. About one week after replacing the check valve the hissing is now back:(

Im gonna check all the lines and make sure they are snug but this is getting really anoying:p:

I have a hissing noise coming from behind when accelerating but it sounds like it's coming from behind my back seat. I mostly hear it when I'm at cruising speed

You can easily check the operation of the "check valve"
Just pull it out (remember which colour goes in which direction" and then suck and blow the valve in both directions. It is a uni directional valve so it should only go one way. Mine had got stuck and after blowing and sucking the valve to investigate it worked again. However this only temporary removed the hissing. I replaced the valve and its better but I still here it at 2000rpm. Not sure what the "permanent" fix is

Not to beat a dead thread, but this is pretty much the closest thing I found under search to what I am experiencing. My hissing noise is LOUD and coming from under the battery best I can tell. When I turn it off, the hissing stays but dies out quickly. What could be under the battery that would be hissing? what would be the source? HELPPP? Thanks

Here is what I found after an hour of looking,listening,looking,and listening. Under the battery tray there is a little part bolted there made by siemens. Anybody know what this part is called? Anyways it has a hole in it, I patched it and its good to go, NO MORE hissing noise. But I would still like to know what that part is called exactly.

I checked mine, but I think the noise I am hearing is the timeing chain chatter. It mainly happens under accel. I thought this valve would be much bigger. I almost missed it.

STU

Has anyone actually found a 100% fix for the turbo whistling sound on acceleration?

I fixed it!!!

Has anyone actually found a 100% fix for the turbo whistling sound on acceleration?

The issue with this is the hose on the pink colored T-Connector that is connected to an air pump. Over time, the hose gets stretched out and there is a gap between the rubber material of hose and the air pump connection. The hissing sound from accelerating is derived from the air pressure within the vacuum (not sure of exact details that go on within the vacuum). Anyways, fixing this all you need is electric tape, scissors, and 5 minutes.
1) Follow the sound of the hiss and you'll see the pink T Connector I am talking about. if you're not sure if that's the right hose, turn the air console to off and then back on (you'll hear the lovely hiss coming from it).
2) Remove the T Connector from the air pump.
3) With electric tape, you want to make the hose that connects to the pump smaller since it has stretched out. Constrict the hose with a reinforcement of the tape; the goal in mind to decrease the circumfrence of the hose (Do not make it too small so that it can't go back on the pump).
4) Connect it back in place and you should be good. You may not get it right the 1st time out, but play around and you'll fix the most annoying problem I have ever dealt with.

FYI---I took my car into the dealership to have this problem fixed. All I got was a $104 diagnostic charge (refunded since I told them how I fixed it myself) and they told me everything was fine.
Hope this helps.

Hissing in Vacuum reservoir area

My daughters 2009 Explorer XLT had the exact same hissing sound from behind the glove box, as described in all these posts. She also had little if any warm air blowing out of the footwell area on her driver side.

Vacuum check of the reservoir (vacuum accumulator) proved it had NO leaks!
Vacuum check of hose coming from engine to the vacuum accumulator proved it also had NO leaks. Regardless of these FACTS, the hissing was there on acceleration and just after engine shut down.

When I read the "check valve" post in the thread, I decided to check it and lo and behold, the check valve was bad! Here is the good part! My daughter is a heart cath nurse and just happened to have some a IV manifold tubing laying around her house. I noticed there was a check valve in the IV manifold, sooo....I removed it and installed it in place of the OEM FORD check valve (7B016 black & white). PRESTO...problem solved! Hissing gone and the floor heat door to the drivers side now opens all the way with good airflow. I will order the proper check valve from Ford and swap it out later.

So if there were no leaks, where was the hissing coming from?
My only explanation is this. The engine provides the vacuum source (when running) and the reservoir/vacuum accumulator stores it! As you accelerate and de-accelerate, this vacuum rate changes. When you shut the engine off, the vacuum supply is gone and the item that locks the vacuum into this system is THE CHECK VALVE. If the check valve is bad, vacuum pressure flows back and forth from the reservoir/vacuum accumulator AND THAT IS WHAT YOU HEAR AS A HISS. NO LEAK, just FLOW! When the check valve works properly, it locks the vacuum in the system and prevents any air flow back to the engine manifold! With the vacuum locked in the system, it also holds that air flow door to the drivers feet in the wide open position. With a bad check valve, that door will not stay wide open all the time, only when running a high rpm~

I had a hissing noise which seemed to come from around the glove compartment, and searched all the above described places. I found the hose that runs around to the front of the engine on the passenger side disconnected and thought I had solved my problem. No, it came back after seeming to be "fixed" after about a week. When again checking the check valve, it didn't seem like there was enough vacuum coming through that line - even though it was small. I followed it around to where it comes out of the plastic box (V-6) near the master cylinder. It went into an "L" shaped rubber receptacle which plugged into the "box" on one end with this line and two others on the other end. I finally got the rubber device out of the "box" and found a small flaw in the inside of the "L" and it acted like a flap over the hole going to the line I had been following. I took all three lines out, ran a drill bit (no drill - just the bit) through all the holes and reinserted all three lines completely through the holes and into the larger area at the top of the "L" and reinserted it into the "box". Going back to the check valve, I noticed a greater vacuum. I have not heard the noise since (about 10 months). This problem would probably have resulted in an "unable to duplicate" notation from the dealer, but persistence worked for me. Hope it will help someone else here.

I had been hearing a hissing noise any time I accelerated. I discovered the sound was coming from the vacuum reservoir tank located under the glove box. Is anyone familiar with this issue? Will replacing the reservoir fix the issue? I made sure the T connector with the hose was secured properly. I'm not even sure what the vacuum reservoir tank does if anyone can clarify.

I was hearing the same noise in my 2008 Explorer when accelerating. In the engine compartment, in front of the passenger seat there is a check valve in the vacuum line running through the firewall. Air should only move one way through the valve. Mine allowed air to move both ways. Bought a new one at AutoZone for under $6 with tax. I installed it and, bam! No more hissing during acceleration.

Check Valve.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back