• Register Today It's free!

Hissing sound and car shakes

airkevin23

Reaction score
City, State
St. Louis
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 Eddie Bauer
When the car is on there is a very loud hissing sound coming from the engine and when I'm driving around and stopped at a stop sign or stop light for more than around 10 seconds, the car starts shaking back and forth and the rpms start going up and down as well as the battery voltage meter. The hissing sound goes away when the car is off though.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Maybe a vacuum leak. Run the engine and look under the hood for the hiss.

There was a valve where it looked like a hose disconnected, but I can't seem to find the hose anywhere. Can I just stick a golf tee there or something because when I plug it up with my finger the hissing stops.

It will most likely run if you plug the leak but you need to find what hose went in there. There should be a diagram of the vac. routing under the hood. You might be able to trace it using the diagram. You could also run the engine and see what dosen't work.

Mine does that periodically: check on the drivers side of the engine compartment near the firewall - there's a vacuum hose that comes off on mine there and plugging it back in fixes everything. If you do it whil running, it's easy to find by the hiss.

DON'T OPEN THE HOOD!

It sounds like you might have a rattle snake in there...

Follow the vacuum lines from the "Octopus" were they all connect. IF all the lines lead to something, then you know that all you lost was a cap/plug on the opening, and yes, just cap it off (although a little rubber plug/cap might be better than a golf tee :D

Back