Hitch Extender - thoughts? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Hitch Extender - thoughts?

I have had a few thoughts on towing my camper with the Explorer since installing the new RLC rear bumper. I don't doubt that it is a well built bumper, but wonder about the mechanics of it. I want to use this extension to help clear the spare tire and lower the ball just a little more.

Amazon product ASIN B0833X5577
but that makes the hitch a longer "lever" putting more downforce on the receiver. I'll also be using a WD hitch, will that help negate the effects of the longer lever?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I don't know if I would trust that one. Depends on the reviews and how much weight.

I built one for my truck camper I had that was 28" long. It was sleeved with another piece and welded together. Towed 8k with no issues.

reviews are good, and it's rated at 5000/500 lbs. My camper is under 4000 lbs. I'm more concerned with the length. With all that distance between the receiver and the ball how does it tow? I've seen those pickups with slide in campers towing with those extra-long extensions, and always wondered about it.

I may just find a good drop hitch, have a mount for the sway control bar welded on to it and call it good. But hate losing the WD hitch. I'd also probably have to leave a propane tank at home (no big deal for short trips) and remount the single propane tank in the center of the tongue to gain clearance from the spare tire.... hmmm... that's a thought worth looking into.

I have had a few thoughts on towing my camper with the Explorer since installing the new RLC rear bumper. I don't doubt that it is a well built bumper, but wonder about the mechanics of it. I want to use this extension to help clear the spare tire and lower the ball just a little more.

Amazon product ASIN B0833X5577
but that makes the hitch a longer "lever" putting more downforce on the receiver. I'll also be using a WD hitch, will that help negate the effects of the longer lever?
My thoughts would be it would probably be fine. A weight distribution hitch will help put some more weight on the front. I didn't look into what year explorer you have buy I would think whatever it is that the off set leverage would not really over power the wdh. I would look at Riebees for there hitch options to. Also I would say maybe look into two sway bars for your wdh if you can put them on. I did for mine from harbor freight. The sway bars were like thirty a piece. It helps in the wind if your trailer catches a lot. I towed 10,000 with my full size truck and even one sway bar can help

Well I got around to hooking everything up to see how it looked. The trailer sits a tad high in front (not enough to worry about) and with the WD hitch the Explorer looks OK. I'm still concerned about that LONG two piece hitch however.

20220314_181319.jpg 20220315_145415.jpg

I think I have a combination that will work. I won't be able to use the WD hitch but that's OK, I've towed without it before. I'll still have the sway control on it. And this is tucked up closer to the bumper, won't bounce and rattle as much And I'd way lighter.

Dont worry about the chains, they'll be properly attached when the time comes.

20220315_161552.jpg

Well, I guess we're finished with this thread. I got a sway control tab welded to the drop hitch (Sometimes it's nice working at a place that has a fully equipped shop across the hall). So, I'm ready to head out and test it. Planning a fishing trip to the mountains on the 26th and 27th. Be a perfect opportunity to try it out. My wife is going to head up with her sister to visit their folks just for the day, so I'll have her take the Expedition... Just in case its needed.... Hehe

The thread’s not finished until you report back after the trip! ;)

Drove from Mesa to Overgaard AZ (normally a couple hours of mountainous driving). No issues other than I need to adjust the sway control mounts on the trailer. Pulled good but slow up the mountains as expected. Transmission temp stayed under 180. Engine got up to 220 a couple times but cooled quickly when we reached the peak. And as soon as the sun went down and we reached higher altitudes.

Back