home made grill

rama1200

Reaction score
City, State
Jackson, MS
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 explorer xls
has any body built their own grill?
I'm the process of building one from an HP/COMPAQ rack server; the color matches my truck, and it has the type of mesh that I like...

I saw some on line, but they either did not have the right mesh, or were way, way too $$$$....

do you guys have any pics?

NOTE/UPDATE: home made ABS/PVC plastic air intake pipe, still looks ok... no crakcs, etc... how long do you guys think it will stay like that? http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2191157/3

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I custom made mine with some aluminum material from ebay. I wanted to polish it but it had some scratches from shipping and was eating up my Mothers Powerball, so I gave it a left to right sanding to give a uniform finish with 400grit sandpaper. Then I clearcoated it to keep it looking nice.

I wanted a different look but close to the GMC Denali.

DSC00518.jpg

I have been looking at doing this. Do you remember the hole size? Or what vendor you bought it from on ebay?

That looks great, 1996explorerxlt! Clean work! :cool:

Im 99% sure I got it from this guy: http://stores.ebay.com/TheGrilleGuy

But dont remember what size. I thought I got the most popular middle size but thinking about it mine might be the 1/2". I bent it around the edges and used resin to keep it in place.

looks good 1996 it looks awesome

I made a grille out of steel my grandpa had laying around...I painted it an aluminum color...but it started to rust so I took it off.

24y1m6d.jpg

Thanks!

I cut out the bars with my Dremel tool, flexible shaft really helps. Sanded it some, used body filler to smooth some accidental cuts(oops) and curves to give it a smoother look. Then I primed it and had it painted the same time I had the bottom half the truck repainted from getting rearended.($800 pocket money for changing the color)

I cant wait to lower it an inch or two and put rims on in the spring. I was going to put on these 17" mustang rims I got for free I refinished myself. Painted them gunmetal then sanded the lip with finer paper each step til I polished it to an almost mirror finish. I dont know how the bare metal with hold up. I may have a body shop clearcoat the rims if I use them.
DSC00278-1.jpg

Or these 18", I bought off a Jeep Gr Cherokee for $100. Its the wrong backspacing but might use spacers if they refinish alright with painted silver lip and gunmetal center.
DSC00688-1.jpg

If I would have black on top ...instead of white you could say my X is a harleyedition. The orange is much brighter in person and will be better once washed and buffed

282lyxd.jpg

Thanks!

I cut out the bars with my Dremel tool, flexible shaft really helps. Sanded it some, used body filler to smooth some accidental cuts(oops) and curves to give it a smoother look. Then I primed it and had it painted the same time I had the bottom half the truck repainted from getting rearended.($800 pocket money for changing the color)

I cant wait to lower it an inch or two and put rims on in the spring. I was going to put on these 17" mustang rims I got for free I refinished myself. Painted them gunmetal then sanded the lip with finer paper each step til I polished it to an almost mirror finish. I dont know how the bare metal with hold up. I may have a body shop clearcoat the rims if I use them.
DSC00278-1.jpg

I have rims similar to thos in 16s with 0 offset (so same as i run now with factory rims of 38 offset plus 38mm spacer). I'll be interested to see how they look an an Ex!
Or these 18", I bought off a Jeep Gr Cherokee for $100. Its the wrong backspacing but might use spacers if they refinish alright with painted silver lip and gunmetal center.
DSC00688-1.jpg

Back