hooking up a sub for the first time need help | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

hooking up a sub for the first time need help

littlebro294

Reaction score
City, State
California
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Ford Explorer
I've got a 94 explorer and i've never hooked up a sub before since i haven't quite had the money to, but now i finally get to start thinking about it and i have much of what i need gathered, i just have one question. I have heard of a lot of people that have a buzzing sound, my brother had a problem where it was picking up a buzzing sound from the alternator, and the buzz would be a higher pitch the high his rpms were. I've heard these problems are caused by a bad ground but i'm not 100% sure what exactly that means, i was hoping someone could shed some light on this. I'm not too bad with engine work but i despise wiring.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

For a ground, try using factory grounds...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VAQoYTmHZd8

Basically, make sure to ground the amplifier to a good solid piece of metal that's not painted.

As stated above, try using factory ground points. Places where stuff is already grounded, that way you'll know it's a good spot.

The Noise you are referring too is called a Ground loop noise , it's from the radio and or the RCA connection , use the Factory ground for the radio and also make another ground connection in the dash and run that to the radio ground and you should be good , Run the RCA wires on the opposite side of the vehicle as your power wire for your sub amp , Make sure you scrape the ground area where its showing bare metal and after the ground is attached cover it with something to prevent rust , if its a first gen 91-94 the battery is on the pass side up front so you would want to run your power wire straight down the pass side of vehicle , I would advise to drill a hole in the pass floor board and run the wire inside the vehicle under the carpet , make sure you double check where you drill a hole , its not advisable to run your power wire through the door jam , its tacky looking and could get pinched and damaged causing major issues , other than those notes and doing some research you should be able to handle it with some time and double/triple checking everything before testing , Good Luck ! .

thank you everyone, this will really help me out on the installation.

For a ground, you can use the bolt holes for the rear seats or seatbelts, that usually works good. Rockford Fosgate has great amp wiring kits, and you run the battery positive wire on the battery-side of the vehicle and the RCA's and signal wires on the right side.

Back