Hooking up neons to remote turn on | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Hooking up neons to remote turn on

Cartman

Reaction score
City, State
Waterloo, Ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 Sport
Is it okay to hook up one or two small neons to the remote turn on for the amp. I figure the power is right there and it is easy to splice into and it shouldn't affect the amp at all.

Any thoughts,

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Should be fine. The actual best way is to run a wire from under the dash from a turn on, because you dont want neon's to bust and maybe fry amp and head unit. I've never seen a problem with it, but..... better safe than sorry

I would not hook them directly to the turn on lead. I would use a relay triggered by the remote turn on lead to power them up.
Most remote turn on leads on radios are about 500mA.

Originally posted by Brian's98XLT
I would not hook them directly to the turn on lead. I would use a relay triggered by the remote turn on lead to power them up.
Most remote turn on leads on radios are about 500mA.

agreed...the power turn on wire is pretty low current, and would not be to good at powering some neons...if you use the relay hook up as Brian said, it should be fine

Carl

Okay, guess I'll go the relay route. these are the lights I want to use, their actually LED's and I want to put 2 or 4 of them around an amp.

Dead Link Removed

I carry those at work, they are really bright.
One of my installers has a Eagle Talon and put them in his vents and in his Xtant amp to light up through the holes in the cover. It looks really cool

Back