Horrible 4x4 Noise (long)

AdamsGuitar

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Charlotte, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
'95 Eddie Bauer
During the first ice storm of the winter, I allowed my cousin to drive my truck, since it's 4wd, and he has a Mustang. I have him a nice speach about not using 4low for anything, since traction could damage the drivetrain. I told him to keep it in 4auto and nothing else.

Fast forward to three hours later, he comes back and tells me that he moved a tree out of the road with my tow strap, and that he used 4low to do it, and since he didn't feel or hear anything, I "must be full of it."

A couple of weeks later, I was putting it in 4low to do some wheeling, when all of the sudden it starts popping VERY loudly on any turn, slight or sharp. Anything other than a straight line (and even sometimes in a straight line) I could hear and feel a very strong pop. I immediately took it out of 4low and went home.

I had to pull one of our other cars out of the mud a few days ago (a 1987 Nissan Sentra that we donated to a charity; I had to pull it out so they could pick it up) and 4auto got me really worried. I hooked the tow strap up and proceeded to give it gas. Both wheels spun in the mud, but as they were spinning, there was a click, click, click that was coming from under the truck when the wheels were slipping.

Now, if I put it in 4auto on wet or dry pavement, it shudders at low speeds, and it feels like it's choking out when I turn at all. The 4auto still seems to work, as I can floor it on wet pavement without losing traction, when I normally would in 2wd.

Any help would be appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sounds like your autos are going out. Mine did that same thing. Every once and a while there would be a loud pop, then popopopopopopopopopop

But I don't know too much about that.

That's what I was afraid of...I'm guessing a good set of manuals (Warn's, maybe?) would be better (not to mention cheaper) than new autos?

I'm not sure they have manuals for the newer X's, but don't quote me on that. You might have to just replace the autos

He doesn't have autohubs.

Sounds like one or both of your CV joints has taken a crap. Jack the truck up and try to rotate the wheels and listen for noises/binding. Also inspect the boots for holes and leakage.

Yeah, that would have been my next guess. Check your cv joints

Ugh, I don't relish the idea of emptying my wallet to fix my CV joints...how much would it cost to repair them?

There really is no repair. Expect to pay atleast $100 a side for replacements.

You may want to PM Jefe about what brand he recommends. He probably has done it enough now to be an expert on the subject :D

If they need replacing, then they won't be replaced ;)

I'm planning a SAS in the next few months, I'll just go 2wd until then.

The more I think about this, the more I think it might not be the CV joints...

I'm not an expert by any stretch of the imagination, but wouldn't a binding or damaged CV joint make noise or cause problems ALL the time? I only experience problems while in 4wd, be it Auto or 4Lo.

Originally posted by AdamsGuitar
The more I think about this, the more I think it might not be the CV joints...

I'm not an expert by any stretch of the imagination, but wouldn't a binding or damaged CV joint make noise or cause problems ALL the time? I only experience problems while in 4wd, be it Auto or 4Lo.

I believe you maybe right on that. Im no expert on 4x4s but i think that when your hubs arent locked, the only thing spinning on the front is the wheel. Even if you have auto hubs they only engage when they sense the input torque in 4wd.

Does it pop when you make turns in 4hi too? If so it might be that your pinion gears on your front differential are worn.

Does it feel like your chain slipping in the T-case? Mine started to slip while I was out trail riding the other day. If I ever gased it in 4low then I would just hear a loud Pop Pop Pop... and it would do it in 4auto also... but not until my rear wheels slipped and it made the front wheels engage.

Kendal...

I have ControlTrac, so I don't have autohubs.

As for the TCase, is the ControlTrac tcase chain driven? If so, that could definitely be the problem. If that is, what would be the solution?

While we are on the subject....My 95 sport is doing the same thing I think. In auto, when power is transferred to the front, it pops and clunks repeatedly....kind of ratcheting it sounds like. It does the same when in low too. It seems to still be pulling some though because I have had to use it to get moving a few times in the ice. I would just spin in 2wd, but in auto it would make that noise, but still get me going. It even makes the noise in auto on dry pavement if I give it any gas. I have no clue what it could be and need any ideas. Thanks.

My X make a poping noise well it used to but now when I put it in 4x the front passenger side grinds as far as I can tell it's the auto hubs but I'm not sure as far as you guys without auto hubs I don't know what to think except maybe the t-case.

Back