How to: - Carb on explorer 5.0 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to: Carb on explorer 5.0

Prefix for threads which are instructional.

96ex5.0

Reaction score
City, State
canyon tx
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 explorer 5.0 4x4 5spd
Ok so I got tired of the efi on my explorer and decided to go carb.

IMAG0265_zpsw4e6nig8.jpg

I'll post more latter on once I'm home and warm.

Ok so as you can see I'm stripping the wiring down to what's needed only, Speedo,tact,temp,oil psi, and coil hot. I should have it finished tomorrow and ready to drive. I am also usind the factory fuel pump.

I'm running a torker 289 intake, holly 600, and an old points dizzy with a protronics in place of point's. I chose this setup for simplicity and to keep it clean, the intake though a single plain has a simular power band to the stock cam so I should get a big torque jump at 2k.

I'll get more pics and post how it runs tomorrow .

Seems I was so cold and out of it I miss typed a few things in title, if a mod could fix it some time for me.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ok so today I got my dizzy stabbed and had to go to the local performance store to get the appropriate gear for use with a roller cam $100. I have a bit more to do on wiring and it should be ready.
IMAG0267_zpsa5swbouc.jpg

So cost this far,

Intake-$100
Carb-given to me
Distributor with pertronics and feet-$180
Fuel line and needed items-$100
Plug wires and coil-$100

Not to bad

WHOA! you may have a very big problem using the fuel pump in the tank. if i am not wrong the pump is around 45 psi running (i think) a carb is only needing around 6 psi. you might have a fuel sprinkler on your hands

also points for you doing a arm strong steering. one other thing is you may shorten the rack or steering shaft life

This will be a super cool power mod.
I love my fuel injection for the cold starts though. Im not sure I'l ever want to cross over the line with my dd and our long winters though.

Im really just subscribing to make sure I don't miss your experiences with this. :)

It's a 96 it only runs 25 psi and I already covered that problem with a fpr and return.my steering has bin that way for over a year maybe 2 but I am also running a shaft from a ranger.

All togeather and ready for test run.

IMAG0270_zpsou61tj9t.jpg

I should have done this sooner it runs much better, and much more power. It's a night and day difference it's like efi=i4 ranger and cabed=mustang gt. I wish I had the money to do a dyno just to see the difference but it can definitely be felt, before I used fist to get moving it would bog starting in second now it will rip tires starting in second. I still need to tune the carb a bit more, swap in a different pv and adjust fuel ratios usind a vacuum guage. Then tinker with the timing a bit more.

I'm impressed. You make it sound easy.

I'm impressed. You make it sound easy.

It was lol, only took a day and a half. That was start to finish and eliminating wiring and cleaning it all up. But I will admit I have bin planning this for several months and after my last off road adventure I decided to do it.

Fun part is calling a parts store when they ask what year vehicle, I tell them it depends on what portion they look at. 65-98 lol

I figured I would share this, it helps to get rid of unsightly big Ford ignition box.

wiring-diagram_zpsf7dcsodb.jpg

This is awesome. Keep us updated as you tune the carb. Most of the big power guys always seem to go carb. They all agree cold startup isn't as friendly, but easily worth the tradeoff in power.

The next really cool thread would be someone that would take up the torch on a megasquirt or similar type product install. I'm guessing your not the guy for this one, as injector timing is a huge part of the reason to use a megasquirt.

I'm guessing that you already have a return style fuel system, so adding the fuel pressure regulator wasn't too difficult, other than getting the fittings right.

Congratulations.

So much more room without that big stupid intake in the way.

First off thanks for fixing my title, ok so I have it pretty close in the tuning still playing with timing for best results but it runs great. I haven't lost any bottom end and it actually feels better all around, it definitely starts easier and faster much better throttle response and acceleration. Here's a screen shot I took of a write up on the ignition setup I used, thanks to phred3512 at Points to Electronic Ignition Cheap & Easy.

Screenshot_2015-03-06-23-15-53_zps0qh7mdcd.png

One thing I wanted to add is for a cam that's supposed to fall on its face at 4500 it sure pulls fast and hard to 6k.

Ok so I've bin driving it now for a few days got it tuned good and it runs great, I used the yellow spring for the secindaries on the carb it seems to like it.

I was going threw my shop and I found an old cam I think I'm going to run I forgot I had it it's an f303 cam, so that's going in and I picked up a Holley 600 double pump to throw on it. Now if I can figure out a headers setup that won't cost an arm and a leg and first borne done.

I see you are in Texas...

So am I... And I wonder what you will do about the inspection on your EX??? You have the CEL light on probably???

No cell why would I have a cell with no ecm? what about inspection it meats requerments, unless you go to some head up there @$& shop but still should pass. And it just passed inspection down to one sticker from two with the new seystem, I do state inspection there's no reason it shouldn't pass. Ok I know what your talking about in TX etch county/city has its own regulation on inspection here there is no smog test or anything just lights, tires, muffler, windshield, basicks.

Was there a reason for not using the big cap on your dizzy with the HEI style posts, or did you just use what came with the pertronix unit you picked up? Also, I'm a bit confused since you posted a pic of wiring with the HEI 4 pin module and the wiring for the TFI, but you did use TFI since you are using the pertronix anyway, right?

I like the project btw. I'm generally a fan of fuel injection, but, a nice clean carb setup is pretty sexy too.

Was there a reason for not using the big cap on your dizzy with the HEI style posts, or did you just use what came with the pertronix unit you picked up? Also, I'm a bit confused since you posted a pic of wiring with the HEI 4 pin module and the wiring for the TFI, but you did use TFI since you are using the pertronix anyway, right?

I like the project btw. I'm generally a fan of fuel injection, but, a nice clean carb setup is pretty sexy too.

Well I used the tfi with points reason for this is the coil I picked was to hot for the petronix and I burned them up, I'm going to get a new one and use it to run the tfi maybe. I posted both since there are some who prefer hei. I do need to add if you use the tfi off a dizy it has 3 extra pins on the top of it, it wires in a tad different well one wire different. The number 6 wire on the diagram will be left alone and instead be connected to the pin closest to the plug side of the three.

Wanted to add I got my Holley 600 dauble pump on and much better throttle response.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well I used the tfi with points reason for this is the coil I picked was to hot for the petronix and I burned them up, I'm going to get a new one and use it to run the tfi maybe. I posted both since there are some who prefer hei. I do need to add if you use the tfi off a dizy it has 3 extra pins on the top of it, it wires in a tad different well one wire different. The number 6 wire on the diagram will be left alone and instead be connected to the pin closest to the plug side of the three.

Wanted to add I got my Holley 600 dauble pump on and much better throttle response.
If you have no computer, what about the trans? Isn't it computer controlled?

Back