Hot Spot Question

TerryY

Reaction score
City, State
Woodland Washington
Year, Model & Trim Level
2018 Explorer Sport
I have a 2018 Sport.
The Hot Spot is AT&T and I am on Verizon with no desire to change carriers.
Is it possible to unlock the hot spot and switch it to Verizon?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi Terry. I don't have the answer but looking at a note in your Owner's Manual, it may not be possible. It appears there is an agreement between Ford and the carrier.

Note: Vehicle Hotspot services are provided
by the vehicle network carrier, subject to
your vehicle network carrier agreement,
coverage and availability.

Peter

I don't think so because they use different technology's for there cellular data. So my educated guess would be nope.

Hi Terry. I don't have the answer but looking at a note in your Owner's Manual, it may not be possible. It appears there is an agreement between Ford and the carrier.

Note: Vehicle Hotspot services are provided
by the vehicle network carrier, subject to
your vehicle network carrier agreement,
coverage and availability.

Peter

I think this is referring to the contracts with AT&T and I think Rodgers in Canada. Not the actual data itself.

I wondered about this too. I'm pretty sure you would have to change the SIM but no clue as to where that would be or if it would accept another.

FWIW, they have hotspot OBDII dongles that you can buy for $80-$250 but you still need a data plan with them.

Verizon and AT&T use different technology's for their call phone Data. So it is not as simple as switching out a SIM card.

Here are the differences defined. As we get closer to 5G maybe then they will allow just a simple switching of the SIM card to move from one to the other. Until the older technology get retired we are stuck.

CDMA vs. GSM: What's the Difference?

Back